Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My guess is hair Algae..
Aquarium is 5 weeks old
Temperature 23°C
Lighting period 8 hours
CO2 injections
Tropica Premium Furtilizer (everything morning before lights turn on)
I would like to catch the issue early as my carpet could be threatened by the algea.

I really need some help I have been rubbing it off Plant leafs with my fingers gently but it keeps coming back!

This was a complete clean and trim 4 days ago. And that's Algae growth in 4 days!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ok, so it's not gsa. That was the fear I had when I saw it. Only 5 weeks would put you still in the start up algae phase. I haven't used tropica ferts before but if it's an all in one there's a possibility you have an improper balance of nutrients. I'm shooting from the hip because there's no info on your nitrogen, phos or anything. I'm stuck using an api master test kit and nothing else for a while, with an algae making machine for a tank, trying to get through it. I've found going lean on ferts and slowly working up works best for these situations. Leave a while in between each change to take note of positive or negative changes. Negative change- 50% water change and use the last dose with positive effects. If you have access to testing for phos and iron it could help you a bit in this process. If you already have them and I wrote that novel for no reason, I'm sorry. Good luck!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's a common thing in the beginning, I had hair algae for 1 day actually in my 50g I started 7 months ago. I use Excel at daily dose and I double dosed that day which may have caused it to only live a day because it turned brownish the next day and then disappeared.

IMO hair algae appears to attack plants that are not well unlike something like GSA or GDA which just settles on stuff and then might make the plant sick due to absorbing the plant's light. So you might consider removing anything that looks damaged. Most of the time it's important to remove the algae as frequently as possible because (1) algae begets more algae and (2) its easier to tell if your actions are correcting the problem when there is little to no algae (easier to notice new growth than if you already have a healthy algae colony). The exception is GDA which some folks feel just gets in the water column and goes elsewhere in your tank.

Keep up with generous water changes in the beginning until you get comfortable. That continually resets you in case you have any nutrient imbalances. Turning lights a little lower can give some respite while you sort out the nutrients and your routines.

One thing that is interesting but is advanced is beneficial live algae. I had bought some off Amazon to feed brine shrimp but I know some people use it like bacteria in bottle, to start a healthy non-problematic algae colony that outcompetes the problem algae. It might be worth reading about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts