The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gal freshwater tank. Lighting is 2 T8 18watt fixture. 1 bulb is a grow light and one bulb a soft light. 10 hr photo period. Sand substraight. I do not do any fertiziler or CO2. Plants include crypts, anacharis, ludwigia repen, bacopa caroliniana, anubias nana. 4 Neon Tetra and 1 Corydora. Water parameters are nitrates 10ppm, nitrite 0ppm, Gh 75ppm, Kh 80ppm, Ph 7.2. Water temp 74degrees.

I have a light brown/rust colored algae growing on my plants, tanks walls, and rocks/drift wood. There is also a black algae on some of the plant leaves. I am new to planted tank hobby. Any and all suggestions are more than welcome.

I ordered Flourish Excel and Prime and will get them in the next day or two. Recommended dose of Excel to compete with the Algae? Will provide pics soon. I just cleaned the tank.

Thank you any help you can provide.

·
Planted Tanker
6,091 Posts
The recommended Excel dose is 1 ml per 10 gallons. Many people find 2 ml per 10 gallons more effective. I always did 2-2.5 ml per 10 gal.

The half life is somewhere between 12 and 24 hours, depending on who you ask, so it's best to dose every day.

The instructions also call for a large dose at water changes (5x or something like that) There is no need to this, however, since you are trying to beat some algae down, it may be a good idea for a while until you get things under control.

A word of caution: Excel is most likely going to melt the anacharis. Other plants and fish should be fine. Probably best to start out with the 1 ml/10 gal dose for a week or two. Then increase it by 50% for a couple weeks, and so on if you see better results with more.

The primary concern should be why algae is there to begin with. Anything that inhibits the plants health/growth encourages algae. The best defense against algae is thriving plants and clean conditions - a clean filter, no decaying matter lying around, etc.

My guess is the plants could use a bit of fertilizer. Excel is a liquid carbon supplement, it provides a limited source of CO2, and functions to some degree as an algaecide. But it is not a fertilizer.

Fish food/poop "can" provide enough N and P (nitrogen and phosphate) and some of the required micro nutrients. But it provides next to zero K and Fe (potassium and iron) so you could very well be low on one or both of those if nothing else.

Tetra's Flora pride has K and Fe. Can find it at any pet store, wal-mart, etc. This may be all you need, and shouldnt be too expensive dosing a 10 gallon tank. Just follow the directions. The Flourish line also has individual nutrients sold separately.

In the meantime, try backing the light down to 7-8 hours instead of 10. Once you get the plants thriving and algae under control you can creep it back up some...probably.

Of course Im just guessing what your tank may need based on limited info. Pics would help people offer you the most accurate advice.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Two T8 bulbs is too much light for a 10 gallon tank, unless you use CO2 and adjust it to the optimum bubble rate for your set-up. And, with that much light you need to be dosing nitrates, phosphates, potassium, and trace elements. Also, using that much light, and avoiding lots of algae problems requires that you do very good tank maintenance, keeping the tank glass clean, the filter clean, the hoses clean, the substrate clean, etc.

If you run only one bulb, you will be in the low light range, where CO2 isn't essential, fertilizing isn't nearly as important, and you can be a lot more relaxed about your tank maintenance.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have heard from others that the reason for alge blooms is that the conditions in the tank are not good for growing plants. You should try to find out where the problem(s) are and correct them. Get all of your water conditions with your test kit.

It would be helpful if you could describe the rest of the system, and a pic if possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.