The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i have been messing around with my ferts dose to try and get maximum growth out of them. Everything was going spot on till i woke up this morning and saw this algae growing on my plant leaves and on my driftwood. Its even covered the roots on my anubias on the driftwood. It is a dark brown and fluffy algae. How can i treat this and get rid of it. And would a SAE or flying fox fish eat it? Should i remove the driftwood and affected plands and treat them with h202?

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is difficult to give an assessment without more information. If it is new tank, your parameters are out of balance. I had a similar problem during the first three months after setting up a large planted tank. It appears you have both BBA and staghorn algae. I like to spot treat 2.6% glutaraldehyde on the infected areas, especially the wood. I treat my 135-gallon tank with 25 mls of glutaraldehyde every day in addition to my fertilizer dosing. The BBA will turn purple the next day and begin decaying. When making water changes, any algae above the water line can be sprayed with hydrogen peroxide. Keep in mind these treatments address the symptoms rather than the cause.

Keep on optimizing your lighting and fertilization regimes. You will eventually achieve success.

Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your advice and sorry for the short description. My tank has been established for 6 months. 29 gal 2x24w t5 ho 6500k bulbs 9 hr photoperiod. Co2 injection 40ppm runs all night. Dose daily pps-pro. Double abount of macro fert and half recommended dose for micro. 50% waterchange every week. Exhausted eco complete soil. Canister filter 390gph. Koralia powerhead 250gph. If i missed something please let me know

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Here is a little update. I upped my macro dosage to twice daily and kept micro at once daily. Co2 is at 40ppm and my plants are going nuts! Here is a before and after picture of a week of growth
Ok. Ill try splitting the light up into 2- 4hr periods and see what happens. My java fern has new leaves buth they are very yellow and almost reddish brown on the tips
You know, keeping one thread would make life easier.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My plants jus didnt seem like they were growing to their full potential. My anacharis and red ruben sword were growing but my rotala rotundifolia, s repens, ludwiga and bacopa were just kinda slow. So i experimented with the macro and started with .5ml updose and watched what happened. I saw substantial growth so i upped the dosage again along with co2. Once i got to double the recomended dose my plants exploded to where im trimming at least once a week. My plants are getting thicker and more lush greens and reds. As far as micro edward on this forum suggeted 1/10th recomended dose and a shorter light period. I think im at 1/4 dose and down from 10 hrs of lighting to 9 hrs. Next week ill drop it to 8 hrs with a 2hr rest midday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.