The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a emersed setup in my tank and it is struck with algae, i have planted hc cuba in ada amazonia soil, lighting is 4*39W T5 (12000K) and photoperiod is 8 hours( a couple of days the light was for 12 hours as my timer went off), misting is done daily in the mornings. i take care that the water does not make a puddle in the substrate.

the emersed setup is in its 3rd week, the hc cuba is growing, but there is a greenish yellow slime covering the substrate and when i remove the saran wrap from the tank , get a pungent odour.

Could it be cyanobacteria, what is the cure for this, also will this infect my hc cuba and choke it.

Help please :icon_roll

·
Registered
343 Posts
That seems like a lot of light for a emersed setup. I'm growing HC in a 30g tub with only two 20w t8s and it has more than tripled it's size in two months. I have another tub growing HC using only indirect sunlight thats growing well also. Never had an algae problem in either one. Can you reduce the lighting to only one or two bulbs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pics

hi
below attached the pictures taken of the tank with the hc cuba and the substrate affected with the algae

@Geniusdudekiran: Also not sure whether we get seachem excel here in india.

@peyton: already reduced the light to two bulbs.

I have reduced the photoperiod to 5 hours now.

one more question is whether the algae will stop the hc cuba from spreading. although the hc cuba is looking good.

Regards
Kiran

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anyone with a solution

hi guys
no replies from u, any solution for this problem

The hc is bright and growing but really slow, could it be because of the algae covering the substrate and stopping the hc to spread fast

Regards
Kiran

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I am not Indian, but I faced the same issue with some BGA in one of my emersed tanks.

A reduction in the amount of humidity helped kick it back.
So did a reduction in photo period.

I hope this helps. Though my advice is pretty generic, it is working for me.

-Gordon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.