The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the christmas break for some strange reason the timer on the lights decided to stay in the on position hence the lights were on for nearly two weeks straight. I arrived home to a tank covered with algae what should I do to fix this. I did a 60% water change and tried to remove as much as possible and trimmed the plants that were worst affected. Should I blackout the tank for a few or just go back to the normal 8hrs light a day and continue with usual fert dosing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ann

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
What to do depends on what kinds of algae you have. Most kinds of algae need to be physically removed from the tank by pruning, scraping, killing with Excel or peroxide. But, some, like green water or green dust algae need different treatments. See: Aquarium Algae to help figure out what you have and what to do about each one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops sorry shold have been more specific it is an outbreak of Black brush algae.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
BBA just about has to be physically removed or killed with bleach or peroxide. Then, if the CO2 level is adequate and the light not excessive, as yours was, it shouldn't grow back. But, I'm finding right now that an overgrown tank, with the resulting poor water circulation, is a good way to invite it for a return visit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts