The Planted Tank Forum banner

Algae outbreak, are these diatoms?

903 6
Hey guys, I started my first tank in the beginning of March and have been battling multiple algaes since april. Think I finally killed off all the rhizoclonium, bought a UV sterilizer for any future green water flare ups and am now think I am fighting diatoms(?) and green dust algae. My plants are doing better than before but are still really stringy and my ludwigia is growing like crazy but has leaf melt near the base. My tank is 18" tall and I am running a Ray II on an 8 hour cycle with my drop checker yellow for co2. Dose daily EI and dose iron. My readings 6.6, 0, 0, 80ppm. So I know my nitrates are high. Don't know how to test for silicates. No livestock in tank. Any advice would be appreciated. Should I add more plants? Also, the ludwigia in picture 2, is that 'red' and if so why is it green?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I had Diatoms as well, and a member suggested to dose a little extra phosphate, which did help, but mine just recently cleared up, if you give your tank some time they should clear up on their own, I just used to wipe off the leaves on my Anubias to keep them from dying.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The RayII is really bright I suspect that's a source of your algae. You can try to raise it, cut your photo period, or block it with some screen. Diatoms is normal for a new tank, once the silicates are used up the brown algae tends to go away, unless your water source has a lot of silicates in it. Seachem makes a silicate test. You should recheck your dosing amount, nitrates should be between 5-20ppm. I assume your other nutrients are high as well. Keep working at it you'll fine your balance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks greaser, I'm going to buy that silicate test. Still trying to figure out how to best raise the light. My tank is 18" deep so I figured the light source was fine. I'm gonna tweak the fert levels until I find something that works. I think the co2 is fine.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Thanks greaser, I'm going to buy that silicate test. Still trying to figure out how to best raise the light. My tank is 18" deep so I figured the light source was fine. I'm gonna tweak the fert levels until I find something that works. I think the co2 is fine.
No problem if you have a ph and a kh test you can go here and enter those number's to get a ballpark on the amount of co2 that is in the tank. http://fishfriend.com/aquarium_co2_calculator.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.