The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uhhh... l did a big water change today and as I was sitting back waiting for everything to settle, I started noticing all these... threads that looked a lot like my cat's hair in the tank. Then I noticed:

It looks.. um.. like a spiderweb.

My gouramis seem to think it's tastey, though, so maybe it's not THAT big of a deal?

of course, right after I notice all this I also notice the very FIRST time any of my plants has pearled with me there to see! I snapped a photo, but it turned out like crap and when I tried to get it again, it was gone. :(

·
Registered
845 Posts
Wow, that looks spooky! :eek: It really does look like some spider spun some webbing there. Have you touched it to see what it feels like? Is it only on that plant or is it affecting others? How fast does it show up?

Maybe it's possibly staghorn algae?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the very first time I've seen it, and it happened as I watched! It's kind of... well, I havn't touched it. I've been watching the fish eat it. lol.. to me it looks like goopy cotton candy? And it's actually on all the plants, but that photo showed up the best so I decided to post that one. It showed up, I would say it was half an hour after I did my water change, suddenly all my plants were covered. I'm pretty sure it's my fault.

This is what happened:

1. sick of seeing green spot algae on my tank - albeit, dying gsa, still, it was ugly and I couldn't see too well in my tank... so I wiped it all off while draining the water.

2. I put water back in, tried to run it through the filter so it wouldn't kick up tooooo much dirt (the liability of having sand as a substrate) and put my dosings of liquid fert and excel in the bucket at the same time.

3. tank was cloudy for a bit, then stringy, then the stringy went on the plants and now the water is clear and my fish are eating the strings.

I'm thinking that whatever green spot algae may have been in the water column that I kicked up by scraping it off and then it got in the water and... maybe got kick started to cling to the dirt in the water that got kicked up while I dumped water in AND with the addition of ferts + excel probably bonded together to make... SUPER ALGAE OF DOOM!!! (only, not really "of doom" 'cause my fish really seem to like it...) My water is actually really clear right now... The frequency of the... stuff is less, but still very much there. I'm going to not panic about this and let it sit and see how it's doing in the morning, I think. Also, I've never seen my colisa lalia (dwarf gourami) poop soooooooo much in one night. man... he's gonna give himself digestive problems or something...

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I've had that before - it's nothing to worry about, just another form of string algae. Excel actually does a good job getting rid of it. :) I also use an old toothbrush and swirl it in circles. It grabs and removes the stringy stuff pretty well.

Also, that's the color it turns after I nuke it with Excel. My guess is that if you keep up the dosing, it'll just die back. I'd still remove as much as you can though. :proud:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jen! Actually, I got up this morning and looked and it looks like my fish took care of that for me. I will see what it looks like when I get home, and probably try to snap a photo (just got a new camera, still working on the particulars of it) It just really freaked me out when I first saw it!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update: As of last night and this morning when I looked into my fish tank (the very next day!) it is all completely gone. duno if it was the otos, the gouramis or the snails, but whatever cleaned it up I'm very grateful to! Maybe they feel that they have to live in that water, so they might as well clean house! If only my other fish felt that way lol...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Considering I need to use that toothbrush to rid my mouth of the "cobwebs" in the morning, I wasn't looking forward to using it in the tank. lol

-actually, I'd have probably used a chunk of filterfloss, as I already have that, and toothbrushes these days are expensive!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts