The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having issues with murky white water, after the water gets realy cloudy it starts to become greenish.. I have been having this problem ever since i started dosing flourish excel.(my hair algae dissapeared but i got this..)

What do you guys think it could be?
Would daphnia fix this :p? The tank has no fish yet. Its about a month old and before i drystarted it, the canisyer filter cycled on my other tank for 3 months before adding it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
If you put a cycled filter in, but didn't keep it fed with either fish waste or ammonia from a bottle, you pretty much need to start the cycling over again.
No food = no bacteria.

It can be a bastard getting rid of the bacterial/algae you see there....
It normally settles by itself, but I would wipe all the glass down, then do as big a water change as you can.... as you said, you don't have fish.... ps. switch your heater off before starting.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Green water algae is exactly that- a real algae (not a bacteria) that drifts free in the water.
Daphnia eat the stuff, and could have it cleared up pretty fast if you add enough of them. Then they starve. Would you be ready to add fish pretty quickly? They could eat the daphnia.

Yes, adding ammonia to keep the cycled filter bacteria alive can trigger any of several types of algae. As I understand it most (all?) forms of algae cannot utilize the active ingredient in Excel.

Are there other sources of other fertilizers in the system? Perhaps if the plants were ready to take off and would grow they would become dominant over the algae.

Couple of big water changes can get rid of the algae, but unless something changes it will come right back.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am dosing macros aswel, my plants are groWing amazing, until the white stuff gets so dense they dont get light anymore. After that i did a 90% water change but after about 24 hours there was a foggy white haze in the aquarium again...

I am hoping to go buy some daphnia thursday.. My lfs didnt have it anymore

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay.. so that didn't work... the daphnia couldnt keep up with the current, the filter was too strong... after 3 days, only 5 or 6 left... I've got 1000's of cyclops inside there now though(i guess they hitchhiked with the daphnia)

I did a 95% waterchange, now, A day later, its already starting to become white again...

I turned the lights down to 4 hours/day, i'm dosing extra CO2(10 ml flourish excel)(2x what i normally dose) and some trace element mix i got online(didnt change the dosage of this)..
Kalium (K) 6,6 %
Magnesium (Mg) 0,5 %
IJzer (Fe) 0,10 %
Mangaan (Mn) 0,03 %
Boor (B) 0,02 %
Zink (Zn) 0,006%
Koper (Cu) 0,002%
Molybdeen (Mo) 0,001%
Stikstof (N) 0 %
Fosfor (P) 0%

The only way to get past this is an expensive UV unit??

any tips welcome..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Okay.. so that didn't work... the daphnia couldnt keep up with the current, the filter was too strong... after 3 days, only 5 or 6 left... I've got 1000's of cyclops inside there now though(i guess they hitchhiked with the daphnia)

I did a 95% waterchange, now, A day later, its already starting to become white again...

I turned the lights down to 4 hours/day, i'm dosing extra CO2(10 ml flourish excel)(2x what i normally dose) and some trace element mix i got online(didnt change the dosage of this)..
Kalium (K) 6,6 %
Magnesium (Mg) 0,5 %
IJzer (Fe) 0,10 %
Mangaan (Mn) 0,03 %
Boor (B) 0,02 %
Zink (Zn) 0,006%
Koper (Cu) 0,002%
Molybdeen (Mo) 0,001%
Stikstof (N) 0 %
Fosfor (P) 0%

The only way to get past this is an expensive UV unit??

any tips welcome..
Tetra Algae control might be worth a look.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
To me the water looks white, which wouldn't be algae in itself (could be Heterotrophic bacteria bloom, particulates or precipitation). However you say it turns green later, then that would be algae.

What filter do you have? The simple UV light in a Sun Sun canister filter is enough for green water.

What's your water parameters test at? Any ammonia spikes?
I would think there isn't deadly levels of ammonia if copepods are surviving (unless the ammonia did kill the daphnia).

Heterotrophic bacteria blooms are from excess organic matter (uneaten food, decaying plants, detritus, etc), which is their source of energy/food and they break that down to ammonia (hence ammonia spikes). If it is bacterial bloom, removing their food source, excess organic matter, would reduce their food supply in turn reducing their population (no more cloud).

Particulates are just that, little suspended debris particles, and simply using fine mechanical filtration media (polyfil, micron filters, diatom filters, fine pore sponges) would filter out the suspended particles, clearing the water.

There is precipitation which is some mineral reactions. I don't know too much about this. I guess you could check by noting if the cloud appears after dosing or not. Or maybe try a simple test if your tap water (or well?) has some minerals causing precipitation, in that case your other tanks might cloud as well, or just ones dosed with ferts.

Take a look here about green water (algae). If you water does blatantly turn green, then it is indeed algae.
http://www.bubblesaquarium.com/images/home mid_photo/Article on Algae/freshwater_algae.htm
James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide

API Algaefix I hear good things about for various algae, but I still would only use this as a last option. Still need to address the root cause.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To me the water looks white, which wouldn't be algae in itself (could be Heterotrophic bacteria bloom, particulates or precipitation). However you say it turns green later, then that would be algae.

What filter do you have? The simple UV light in a Sun Sun canister filter is enough for green water.

What's your water parameters test at? Any ammonia spikes?
I would think there isn't deadly levels of ammonia if copepods are surviving (unless the ammonia did kill the daphnia).

Heterotrophic bacteria blooms are from excess organic matter (uneaten food, decaying plants, detritus, etc), which is their source of energy/food and they break that down to ammonia (hence ammonia spikes). If it is bacterial bloom, removing their food source, excess organic matter, would reduce their food supply in turn reducing their population (no more cloud).

Particulates are just that, little suspended debris particles, and simply using fine mechanical filtration media (polyfil, micron filters, diatom filters, fine pore sponges) would filter out the suspended particles, clearing the water.

There is precipitation which is some mineral reactions. I don't know too much about this. I guess you could check by noting if the cloud appears after dosing or not. Or maybe try a simple test if your tap water (or well?) has some minerals causing precipitation, in that case your other tanks might cloud as well, or just ones dosed with ferts.

Take a look here about green water (algae). If you water does blatantly turn green, then it is indeed algae.
http://www.bubblesaquarium.com/images/home mid_photo/Article on Algae/freshwater_algae.htm
James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide

API Algaefix I hear good things about for various algae, but I still would only use this as a last option. Still need to address the root cause.
its not particles(tank is crystalclear right after waterchange, filter is pretty clean too), and its not that fluo green as in the pictures but definately a darker green after about a week. I ran out of tests so i cant test the water now xD ammonia used to be high, because i manually added it, but i did a full water change, twice now, there are no fish in the tank, and the dead plant matter is relative aswel, nothing my filter can't handle IMO... I have a 5l Eheim canister filter, no UV filter though. the sunsun UV filter is still 150$ here :p..

The tank is dirted, so maybe thats the issue? its pond rated potting soil though... with a very thick layer of sand(3 inches) ontop of it

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A quick update, i did order a sunsun filter with a 9volt UV lamp in, it took the filter 2 days and the water went really clear. The UV has been off for a week now and no green water has returned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.