The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah, once in a while tanks get buildup or algae on the glass. I just use a Mag-Float to wipe it away real quick. You can leave it on the glass and just slide it to a corner out of site. Thats what I do. Or you can just take it out once you're done cleaning.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Seems to be a stability, growing pains type thing, at least for me. I rarely get algae on the glass on my two established tanks (over 1 year old each), but am still getting it on 10 gallon that I set up 2 months ago. I seem to go through 6 months or so of this and then one day, it just slows down and almost stops. I clean the glass in spots maybe once a month now.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Like 2wheels, a new tank trying to establish itself will get it. Low phosphates will cause this as well.

I also had it when I first setup my 75G. A few months later after the tank had matured I didn't have to scrape the glass anymore.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
My ADA high light is getting this. It's a normal thing in the beginning. I'm just balancing ferts right now, finding out what works best, trying new things, avoiding algae.

Slowly, you will have less problems with it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My ADA high light is getting this. It's a normal thing in the beginning. I'm just balancing ferts right now, finding out what works best, trying new things, avoiding algae.

Slowly, you will have less problems with it.
Agreed. I dont get green spot algae at all anymore. Just the occasional thin buildup thats easy to wipe away every few weeks.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Agreed. I dont get green spot algae at all anymore. Just the occasional thin buildup thats easy to wipe away every few weeks.
Perhaps yours is like mine? On my established tanks, I get a thin whitish "film" that will build after about a month, but it barely noticeable and easily removed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts