The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm having a lot of trouble with my Red Root Floaters in a 7.5g betta tank. They get very red roots and undersides, but they just don't grow and get a lot of algae on leaves that are submerged. I've been pulling off the algae-covered leaves, but there aren't many leaves left, even though new leaves are growing. But now the root stems (?) are so long and I'm wondering if I should trim those so they don't drag the leaves under the water. There is a slight current that moves them around the tank a little, but I've tried confining them in a ring, and they just got really bad algae and surface film.

Hopefully you can see the attachments, since my inline images were not showing up in the preview. The rest of the tank is doing great with minimal algae.

Water parameters after running C02 for 3 hours and no water change for 1 week:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
PH: 6.6
KH: 4
GH: 13
TDS: 315
Temperature: 78
Light: Fluval Nano Plant @ 2.75 inches from the surface running at about 75% 6 hour photoperiod with 2 hour ramp on either side

I am dosing 2.25 mL of Flourish daily, and do a 50% water change every week with RO water remineralized with Equalibrium to a GH of 8.

Something strange to me is that even when I add more Flourish, I never see any nitrates at all! Makes me wonder if my test kit is bad, but the test strips always show 0 too, and when I was initially cycling the tank I was seeing nitrates. But I am using an anoxic BCB and some Matrix in a custom internal filter I made similar to a Waterbox AIO. Maybe it is just really working that well and isn't good for a planted tank. I initially designed this tank for a Ranchu with only some Lucky Bamboo growing out of it, but decided to go fully planted with a Betta later. I just have the one Betta and 4 Amano shrimp in there (he managed to catch one :crying:)

They were doing OK for a while, but I recently went on vacation (just three days!) and they had lost a few leaves that clogged the overflow into the filter. When I first put them in, they had the same problem until I upped the Flourish dosing, and I wonder if just those few days without ferts set them back this badly?

Anyway, does anybody have some suggestions for how to get the RRF to do better? Any other info you need from me? Any suggestions, questions, and feedback is really appreciated.

Thank you!
-Rich
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
I don’t have any advice, but I used to have gorgeous RRF. Then I got Cladophora algae which weighed them down. I lost them all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for commiserating with me! And sorry to hear about your mishap too...
I decided to actually check the components of Flourish, and didn't realize it doesn't contain many macros! So perhaps that is part of my problem and why my other plants (such as "easy" Murdannia Keisak) aren't having great growth despite apparently good CO2 and lighting.

So I bought some Thrive and I'll try that while pulling my lights back a bit again. Hopefully it will all pull together.

Hope your plants are thriving!
-Rich
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top