The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting a coating of algae on my Amazon sword's leaves. Any advice? I have siamese algae eaters in the tank but they don't seem to be taking care of the problem. I've started to remove the algae from the leaves with my fingers but I don't know if this will hurt the plant. The algae looks like the brown kind, which is strange because there is plenty of light in the tank and I thought that type of algae thrived in low light conditions. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!:confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
^^ I have the same at the moment in high light conditions - I think it is coming from some sort of excessive nutrient.

I have a 90G mildy planted at the moment and I got 7 ottos - I'm lucky at the moment because my cichlids don't see them as a food source. They are doing a great job cleaning that stuff up - I would recommend them if you have suitable tankmates.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If your tank is full of swords, stick with root fertilizer tabs since that's where they get the majority of their nutrients. Liquid ferts mainly feed the algae.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.