The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went from a stable successful low-tech 15H to a old standard boring 55g low-tech. Transferred gravel, filter, plants, and a portion of the water. The new setup uses the old 15H HOB power filter as a seed, a new Aqua-tech 30-60 (it came with my used tank), and an Emperor 400. Lighting is a single 32W fluorescent. 7 male guppies, and a dozen little tetras are the entire bioload. I got a little bump of a cycle after setup, but it is settling down now.

Here is my question, on the front glass, on the side where the Aquatech filter resides and the effluent hits the glass, there is a good bit of algae growth. On the side with the Emperor, there is none. My plants, a few Javas, some Wisteria and a couple broad leaf plants from a friend, are growing nicely already. So why would the algae grow only on that one area of the glass? It seems peculiar, with the only small difference being a slightly less flow rate. But the third HOB, being a smaller unit, has less flow yet no algae in the area of its outflow. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I had that. It turned out that the tank got some sunlight just at that spot for maybe an hour or two, not much, but it was just enough extra light that algae would grow there, not elsewhere.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Either your plants on the algae side aren't growing as quickly or maybe there's indirect sunlight hitting that side in particular

1 - 3 of 3 Posts