The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got ceramic co2 diffuser in my tank which start to grow algae on the ceramic bit.

How can I get rid of this ? brushing with old toohbrush ?

Is there a long term solution for this so the ceramic wont grow green ? Or theres something wrong with my water that causing this ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yeah, you don't want to use anything to scrub the ceramic disc. Just soak it in a bleach solution and then soak it in bit of de-chlor solution.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why dont u want anything to scrub the ceramic ? Coz it may damage it ?

When you say bleach, is it the bleach that we use for clothing ? Or is it something else ?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
You can use clothing bleach mixed with lots of water or you can use ADA SUPERGE which is better for cleaning your glassware and ceramic plates. Scrubbing your ceramic plates can cause damage to them causing bigger holes in the plate or clogging. Make sure you really rinse the bleach out after use, and get the water out that might have gotten inside the diffuser by using a can of dust off computer keyboard cleaner or the air in can stuff.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
What gabeszone said.

but what makes the superge better then bleach or what makes them different?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put some bleach (for clothing) into a container and disolve it with hot water, then putting my diffuser in.

Its already 24 hours, but still some green stuff still remain on the white ceramic disc.

Have I done something wrong ?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
You're not putting enough. Just *a little* bleach in water (say, 2 cups or so) won't get you really fast results. I'd say to put 2x as much bleach in as you're currently using. Just make sure you rinse it well afterwards. If you have enough bleach, it should turn it white within an hour or so.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah icic...

I'll try putting half of the container i use for soaking then :D

Thanks for the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts