The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been struggling with algae for a while now but am at a bit of a loss as to what to do about it!

My tank has been established for a few months now, it has two smallish plants in it, plus one Betta. It receives maybe a little morning direct sunlight, and my light is on about 8 hours.

The glass on my tank gets dust like green algae growing on it, clouding up the sides.
A hair-like algae seems to take over everything else - starting on the plants then eventually over everything within a week or two.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
this look like a case of very high light over this tank, plus you lack plants which gives more advantage for this type of Algae to grow.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Agree, too much light, not enough competition for the nutrients. I would reduce lighting and add some stem plants.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you aren't growing any substantial amount of plants (only saw 2 in your pics), then there's no reason to have your light on that long. If the tank is in a place that gets enough ambient light (not direct sunlight), I'd even go as far as to leave the lights off. If you want the lights on for viewing purposes, then you should definitely throw some fast growing stems and/or floaters in your tank.

·
Registered
820 Posts
In addition to adding more stem/floating plants...I have also seen others place a piece of egg crate on top of their tops to cut some lighting ....good luck

·
Registered
799 Posts
You want some frogbit? It will block a lot of light since it floats and its very easy to remove in case you dont want it anymore. I got to get rid of some, no charge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks so much for the fast and informative responses guys! You're the best.

Alright so I've just ordered a bunch of plants.. these two..
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=703603273
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/fish/aquatic-plants/auction-702690561.htm

And may try to find a slightly dimmer bulb as I do like the lighting for viewing purposes.

Hopefully that will do the trick!

@puopg - thanks a lot, but I'm sure it will be a bit more of a hassle sending it all the way to New Zealand :p

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
No more than 7 hrs a day and absolutely no direct sunlight. If you like to watch the tank with direct sunlight then allow it only while you are actually sitting there.
You did not say which kind of or how much light you have or how tall the tank is.
These things determine if algae will be there.
Also those plants will not do well if there is not some complete nutrients in there.
It's like putting a plant in a pot full of sand.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is there a specific reason for running the lights for 8hrs? If your running for viewing purposes only, you could pick up some leds and wire up a small little moon lighting system which would allow you to view the tank when lights are off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply.

I bought some plants online and cleaned up my tank - here's the result

Yes one side of the tank gets a little bit of direct sunlight in the morning - apart from leaving my blinds shut when I can, it's hard to avoid this.

I have the lights on because I thought I needed to for the plants, plus I liked them for viewing purposes. And thanks for the suggestion about moonlighting, I went out yesterday and bought some stuff to rig up a moonlighting system tonight! Excited!

In terms of keeping the plants I have in there healthy and happy, what extra additives will I need? I currently have nothing for them..

·
Registered
296 Posts
Add amano shrimps here and plant fast growing plants, particularly hornwort. Keep the lighting the same and watch hair algae disappear. Feed your beta only as much as he eats.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts

Yes one side of the tank gets a little bit of direct sunlight in the morning - apart from leaving my blinds shut when I can, it's hard to avoid this.

I have the lights on because I thought I needed to for the plants, plus I liked them for viewing purposes. And thanks for the suggestion about moonlighting, I went out yesterday and bought some stuff to rig up a moonlighting system tonight! Excited!

In terms of keeping the plants I have in there healthy and happy, what extra additives will I need? I currently have nothing for them..
Wow what a difference! It looks great!

As for lighting schedules, I was finding that I had algae issue and I decided to change all of my lights over to timers. I follow a 4 on 4 off 4 on 12 off time system and have seen a massive reduction in the amount of algae seen in my tanks.

As for ferts there are a lot of different ones which are offered, it just depends on what you want to do. There's everything from pre-mixed additives to root tabs (depending on the plants you have and how they feed). When you're ready nilocg has some great stuff at really decent prices. There's tons of info in the ferts section and a good FAQ sticky there to help you get started.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been struggling with algae for a while now but am at a bit of a loss as to what to do about it!

My tank has been established for a few months now, it has two smallish plants in it, plus one Betta. It receives maybe a little morning direct sunlight, and my light is on about 8 hours.

The glass on my tank gets dust like green algae growing on it, clouding up the sides.
A hair-like algae seems to take over everything else - starting on the plants then eventually over everything within a week or two.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks!
woah :eek:

And after the cleanup...woah! :eek5:
Great job

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys, reviving this thread because my algae nightmare continues....

It's been a while since I got those plants in and have been using "Flourish" to keep them healthy. I've changed my lighting schedule to 4 hours on in the morning, then 4 hours on in the afternoon. I've also covered the side of the tank that was perhaps being hit with a few minutes of morning sun.

HOWEVER... my algae isn't giving up.

It's no longer vibrant green coloured, rather it's fuzzy brownish stuff hangning off the plants, with leaves and decorations being covered in a layer of dark brown (almost black) stuff. I try to rub it off when cleaning the tank but this is a reeeeal mission doing each leaf and it tends to rip the fragile leaves up a bit.. The smaller plants seem to have lost lower leaves and stalks turning brown.

Photos below... Click on em to see bigger picture!

Any ideas and suggestions welcomed thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
the pic above this post is the real hair algae which am struggling at the moment too. am currently reducing my light hours to 4 and light intensity combating this algae while giving time for other plants to grow. if u can get seachem excel since u do not hv CO2 system, try Standard/Halved dosing it. it would not harm your betta and benefits the plants.

·
Registered
13 Posts
also i notice your plants have nutriet deficiency. seachem excel and flourish most likely will help. your light is quite intense, find ways to reduce it, example temporaily only one tube, remove reflector. as for the sun light u were saying, maybe a cardboard on the side before u go to bed to block morning sun (in case u woke up late) or when u not around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
FYI, most of the time, only amano & molly will consume this hair algae (sometimes not). snail will only consume when the hair algae died. I have just gotten 2 juvenile amano testing on hair algae. the rest of my CRS shrimps, RCS shrimps, Malaya Shrimps, nerites, ramshorn snail would not touch it when the hair algae still alive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

I've already blocked off the side of the tank that was getting a little bit of sun, so there's no sun going in there at all. And pulled back on the lighting.

I will try some excel to complement my flourish for the plants.

I have tried having a little otto in there but he died after a few days - I saw my betta chasing him a lot and i think he probably stressed him to death and think he may have taken a chunk or two off him too.

I also had a snail in there when I first got my betta but my betta wouldn't leave him alone. He would even sleep on the ground beside the snail waiting for the snail to pop out of his shell. Snail only lasted maybe two weeks before dying - so I'm unsure if the betta killed him too or what.

I don't think we can get Amano shrimp here in New Zealand so that's unfortunately not an option...

I'm unsure what else to do...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts