The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently im horrible at keeping plants alive in my 55 gal. been researching a lot of posts and articles about lighting, fertilizers, parameters etc. That lead to algae.
Our 55 started growing BBA and I've been trimming out the dead leaves. Just black sand substrate with a 120gal canister filter. 0 nitrites/ammonia, 10-20 nitrates, ph 8.2 due to tap water, gh 14, kh 15.
Lights on 4 hrs on/4 hrs off/4 hrs on and off the rest of the time. Fluval planted plus on 6" risers.
Use seachum root tabs and then liquid Thrive every other week. No CO2

At this point im at a loss since I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I just want some big healthy plants for my fishes & shrimps. Would love suggestions!!

My 6 gal is suffering the same fate but it shares a stingray light with another 6 gallon that's doing great. Photo below is before the BBA but ive lost the plant on the left, the creeping jenny in the middle and about half the plants on the right side between dying plants and cutting out those covered in algae

·
Registered
349 Posts
Algae is usually from too much light or nutrients. You've already got your light raised up off the top of tank , maybe dim it. or cut back on either ferts or whatever your are feeding your fish or shrimp? Could also add some floater plants...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I try not to overfeed for the most part and my nitrates are usually around 10 but less than 20. I'll trade them in the light to see if that works but I've tried not administering as many ferts and my plants start to die. I'll try an extra water chg in during the week see if that helps too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.