The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got that algae growth and it's getting worse daily. Any ideas what it is and how to get rid of it.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 10
GH - 7
KH - 5
PH - 6.8
Phosphate - 0
Light is on 8hr
Co2 is at approx 4bps
I dose TNC complete 5 ml once a week

have asked this on another group but the responses were very mixed.

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
You recently upgraded your lighting, so that's part of the equation. Did you change the amount of ferts you're dosing and CO2 you're using when that happened? If not, that's something you'll need to consider. (Note that bubbles per second doesn't really mean anything, as the amount of CO2 per bubble is going to vary from setup to setup.)

In the other full tank photos you've shared, you had moss that was dying. So part of the detritus you're seeing is from the dead/dying moss that you didn't remove. Remove any brown portions from your tank. It won't come back to life. Leave only green portions.

I'd do a good cleaning and water change. Get lighting/ferts/CO2 in balance. Then just remember your tank hasn't been running with this lighting for very long, so there's going to be an adjustment period.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank is about 3 months old. Have just updated the light which might be part of the cause. I'm using tropica aqua soil. Some people have said to increase ferts and dose daily. They recommend 3x the weekly dose spread over 7 days.
@somewhatshocked I have removed the moss but I've got a Diatom issue which I just remove as much as I can when doing water changes. What would you recommend for the fert dosing? The co2 was adjusted till the drop checker went lime green over the course of the day.

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
Do you have any idea on PAR data for the light fixture you're using? That will help determine a lot. I'm guessing it needs to be dimmed a bit.

I don't know much about TNR's blend but I think it contains phosphates. And if there's none detectable when you test, that suggests you need to dose more - but I'm not sure how much. Really depends upon strength of the lighting you're using.

Once we know more about your lighting, I'm sure others can chime in about how much you should dose. But it's probably going to be something like doubling or tripling what you're dosing/dosing the same amount but 2-3 times per week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.