The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted an id on this algae if possible(the green stuff on driftwood). I referenced the algae guide but couldn't differentiate this from cyno or bba. It's just cropped up in the last week and so far has only hit the driftwood. Tank has been re-set up now for a month and a half and planted for two weeks. I have no fish in the tank. Here's the details:

33 gal
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-20-40ppm
Kh-6
Ph-6.7 when saturated with co2
This should give me a co2 level of a bit over 40ppm. I've been adjusting this for about a week but think I have it where I want it now.

Lighting is 2x24 t5ho giving me low to mid 30's par at the substrate. Today I just cut my photoperiod from 10 down to 9.

Any help would be appreciated as to an I'd, cause, and possible fix before it gets out of hand.

Kev

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
What are you dosing for ferts? Blackout will kill the algae, but it will keep coming back until you fix the root cause. The photoperiod alone won't do it although it will slow things down a little for you.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you dosing for ferts? Blackout will kill the algae, but it will keep coming back until you fix the root cause. The photoperiod alone won't do it although it will slow things down a little for you.
I've been dosing liquid ferts that I purchased from a forum member and using the recommended dosage for my tank size. Pretty sure it follows suit with the recommended Ei dosing regimen.

Kevin

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do 50% water change. Main culprit is the light. Your photo period way too long. I'm having 20G standard using only 1x24w t5ho max 5 hrs. Dosing Pps pro, tank half filled with Crypts n sword plants. No algae. Dosing ferts is OK but control your photoperiod.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aren't we trying, as best we can it mimic nature when it comes to lighting? I didn't think a 9-10 photoperiod was too out of line. Seems people range from 8-12 from posts I've read.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.