The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some of these little dandelion looking things on my glass and clinging to some of my plants. It's not a bother but I am curious what type of algae it is and what are the causes?

Tank is a Fluval Spec with upgraded pump, pressurized co2, Seachem dosing

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So not algae at all.

These aren't a big deal for me right now, I will just cut down the feeding for the tank. I am missing a RCS though, I wonder if this was the cause?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I doubt they are capable of harming an adult shrimp. But certain they can eat a baby one.

·
Registered
828 Posts
They can kill shrimp, especially babies. It could also depend on the size the of the hydra as to whether they can do damage to an adult shrimp.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They can kill shrimp, especially babies. It could also depend on the size the of the hydra as to whether they can do damage to an adult shrimp.
It was an adult female. She is no where to be found - checked everywhere.
You'll need to kill them off before they start decimating your shrimp population. Also if you see one, there's bound to be others in the tank. Pick up some fenbendazole and start dosing right away.

http://www.planetinverts.com/killing_planaria_and_hydra.html
I have some No-Planaria but for now I will just vacuum them out with a water change, no big deal. I had what I guess would be considered an 'outbreak' but they seem to be dwindling now. I only have an amano shrimp, ranshorn/pond/nerite snails in the tank now so I am going to watch the amount I feed. I am always hesitant to use chemicals.

in other news, your plants look great and are pearling away. what are they anubias??
Thanks! Yes 'nana' from PetSmart. They took awhile to get adjusted to the light but now they are flourishing and popping out new leaves left and right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts