The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
That is not algae but hydra as @Ishthisis stated above.

What fish or other animal life do you have in your tank?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is not algae but hydra as @Ishthisis stated above.

What fish or other animal life do you have in your tank?
I have a 15 gallon Fluval Flex, low tech planted tank with 6 blue TETRAS, 3 Amano SHRIMP, 1 nerite snail, 1 ramshorn snail, and a multitude of pond snails.

My parameters seem to be solid on a weekly basis. No nitrates or Nitrites to speak of.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a 15 gallon Fluval Flex, low tech planted tank with 6 blue TETRAS, 3 Amano SHRIMP, 1 nerite snail, 1 ramshorn snail, and a multitude of pond snails.

My parameters seem to be solid on a weekly basis. No nitrates or Nitrites to speak of.
A Hydra is a soft-bodied polyp of the Phylum Cnidaria, one of the most ancient animal groups in evolutionary terms which includes corals, jellyfish, hydras, and myxozoans. A Hydra has a tubular body with a sticky foot at one end and a dozen tentacles at the other. Like jellyfish, these tentacles possess stinging cells that allow the Hydra to immobilize their prey. They primarily eat small aquatic organisms such as cyclops, daphnia, and other aquatic crustaceans, but can catch and ingest small fish.
Certain fish like to eat the Hydra including guppies, mollies, betta fish, paradise fish, and gouramis.
When I got Hydra it was from plants I bought from the store. I didn't want to use fish to eliminate them so I used a natural Betel but extract, No-Planaria.
Insect Recipe Arthropod Ingredient Pest

It kills Planaria and Hydra and is safe for plants and shrimp. The label says it can kill snails but I had a ton of bladder snails and I didn't notice many deaths, all fish, shrimp and plants were fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts