The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could someone help me out and ID this algae? Trying to figure out what it is and the best course of action to attack this.

Background info, tank has been set up for about 1 month, bought plants, was dosing with fert. I have abot 1 watt per gallon on a 90 gallon tank, I do weekly water changes, tank is stocked with rainbows mostly, 5 oto's 2 corys 3 loaches. 2 large box filters on with good water movement.

This algae started to grow about 2 weeks ago. I have recently added a DIY CO2 to the tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ty Bsmith, hopefully the CO2 will help get rid of this stuff, I've only had the CO2 on there for 3 days now so I'm curious to see how well it works.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh, thanks, there's so much conflicting info out there, I read somewhere just adding CO2 can eliminate it, good to hear from someone that know's better.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
That is correct. Upping/adding co2 will not kill the algae but it will usually stop it from growing. If you want to kill it you need to spot treat with Excel. To do this yo need to get a syringe, turn off the filters/flow creating devices, spray Excel directly on algae, let sit for an hour or two, then turn on the filters. If you do this 3-4 days in a row I guarantee you that after the 4th day the BBA will be pink/purple/white and dead.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Remove or trim the affected plants. It usually affects slow growing plants plus fluctuations of CO2. I notice that you have gravel substrate; most plants grow slow in gravel.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well I've decided to use a H2O2 treatment, last night I took a baby dropper and went with about .5 ml H2O2 per gallon and applied directly to the algae. It bubbled for about 30 mins, after that I did a big water change , about 50 percent.

This morning I checked the tank and alot of the algae had turned a dark rust colored red. I'm hoping more of it will be red by the time I get home today, if not I'll consider doing another treatment later this week and maybe use abit more H2O2. I've read it's safe to go up to 1 ml per gallon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts