The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this tank setup for about a year and tore most of scape out to redo it a few months ago. Since then I keep getting this brown algae all over my glass and anything it falls on after I scrape it. I do water changes regularly and tested water and params looked fine. I have co2 going drop checker lime green. I have tried double dosing excel nothing seems to get rid of it. Any ideas what it is?

---
- Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Brown algae is usually diatoms. They show up early in a tanks setup but if you get them later on it could mean you're leaving your lights on too long or your bulbs are old. There's some nutritional causes too like high nitrates but since your doing water changes that's probably not it. Do you have snails or otos in your cleanup crew?

Here is a good algae guide. It's helping me identify and understand the alga in my tank. http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_freshwater_algae.php

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok here are the details:

25 gallon cube, 2x36w @8 hours 18inches above, c02, filtration is a Eheim 2211 and a SunSun 304b, the Eheim is just in there for cycling the filter for a new tank, plants are hornwort and guppy grass, tons of it, I added this to soak up any excess water quality issues. Ferts I use Rootmedic liquid ferts macro and micro 5 pumps of each about once a week. There used to be tons of plants in the tank, my c02 died and everything melted so I ripped it all out and threw in the horn/guppy grass just to keep the fish from getting to stressed. Now it is just a pain in the butt with the brown stuff on the glass, I scrape it, it sticks to all the cholla wood, sticks to the hornwort, just like a spreading disease lol. It comes off easy, its really fine and just knocks right off. It is more than cycled so I didn't think diatoms would be the case but if so, I can get a few otto's and let them go to town on it. Fauna are 5 neon tetras, 4 CPD's, 3 fancy male guppies, there are MTS and Assassian snails in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.