The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of algae is this? And also what kind of fish might eat it? I got several otos in the tank and they're not helping

Algae is the fuzzy stuff on the moneywort

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi Tibob32
Low or fluctuating CO2 levels can cause major algae problems. What are the nutrient levels in your water (they might be limiting plant growth) and do you add CO2? If it has a slightly fuzzy appearance then call it fuzz algae. Maybe think of getting an algae crew. Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE), Amano shrimp, Otocinclus, and Mollys are known to eat it but the plants are probably suffering deficiency problems and leaking nutrients back into the water.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is something that can be physically removed from the plant. The imbalance causing it can be controlled by regular water changes and following a regular fert schedule. I've had it and got it under control in just this way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i had that algae and after research I thought it to be grey slime algae. I dont know if that is correct or not. I had an SAE that I put into the tank but haven't actually seen him eat any...

get a toothbrush and spin it on the algae to pull it off. keep removing as much as possible daily. check your filter as well since i found it to collect in there also. if its on the sides of your tank you should buy a magnet or something to take it off. remove as much as possible every day

I tried out competing this with a bunch of hair grass and it just didn't work. It just clung to the hair grass.

I did daily water changes of about 30% AFTER I played with the algae (i was able to suck it out of the dirty water this way. you need to

1 - 5 of 5 Posts