The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first tank, so I’m not sure what I have here. The help is much appreciated.

15 days into cycle with ADA AS Amazonia II. I definitely know I have biofilm from the spider wood, but curious on what the algae is. I believe it’s diatoms and some sort of hair algae, but not sure. I’m hoping it’s not something worse.
Tank is sitting at 0.25 ammonia, 0.25 nitrite and 7.5 nitrate on the last water change. pH is 6.8 when CO2 is off. KH 2-3 and GH 4 with tds of 120.
I have around 15 bladder snails that hitched a ride on the plants and they don’t seem to be helping at all.
Thoughts on what I should do? Should I let it run it’s course until I can put algae eaters in with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite? Should I try and get some out?
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 1030256 View attachment 1030257 View attachment 1030261 View attachment 1030259 View attachment 1030260 View attachment 1030262 This is my first tank, so I’m not sure what I have here. The help is much appreciated.

15 days into cycle with ADA AS Amazonia II. I definitely know I have biofilm from the spider wood, but curious on what the algae is. I believe it’s diatoms and some sort of hair algae, but not sure. I’m hoping it’s not something worse.
Tank is sitting at 0.25 ammonia, 0.25 nitrite and 7.5 nitrate on the last water change. pH is 6.8 when CO2 is off. KH 2-3 and GH 4 with tds of 120.
I have around 15 bladder snails that hitched a ride on the plants and they don’t seem to be helping at all.
Thoughts on what I should do? Should I let it run it’s course until I can put algae eaters in with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite? Should I try and get some out?
Thanks for the help!
Hey Ingneous88, I wouldnt worry too much. From my experience, new driftwood can sometimes exhibit a white looking algae. This growth is actually a form of mold that develops from organic matter within the fibers of the wood. Overtime this will disappear. Bristle nose plecos or nerite snails have eaten it in my tanks. The growth on the plants doesnt appear to be too serious of an issue at the moment. If you notice more growth of algae, I would dial back the lights a little bit. Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.