The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This fluffy looking algae has started popping up on my plants. Have been neglecting my tank on dosing, etc, lately so probably well deserved to have algae... nonetheless, would like to know what kind this is and what the cure is.

fyi, not all my leaves look like in the pic. just the low ones that made the picture easier to take.

Quick stats:
100g
45ppm+ co2 (regulator injection)
280w, so 2.8wpg
dose po4, no3, micros, calc, mg - but as said above have been neglecting over the last several months
50% Waterchange 2x monthly.
Plants are Swords, some type of crypt, and Bobitis (sp?)

·
Banned
560 Posts
Oh man that looks painfull. Remove the leaves that look like that. They will not heal and are sapping energy the plant could use elsewhere. Do a 20% WC right away. Just my .02

·
Registered
342 Posts
That's the same algae growing in my Amazon & Vals. Could anybody here who have successfully battled this algae give us some tips. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Seachem Excell kills this algae VERY well. in high dosages.
however it will also melt Vals.
so I would say manual removal would be your best option. clip infected leaves. and stay on top of maintenance.

·
Registered
342 Posts
SAE :) they love that stuff :D
I used to have a big one (4-5 inches) but he wont stop chasing the cory's especially during feeding time. He caused the death of 2 of them & decided to trade him in for 2 more corys. The funny thing is after getting rid of him thats when my BBA started showing. Weird? Maybe the big bully helped put the BBA at bay. Already seriously considering 2 "small" SAE maybe they would help my Otto's in cleaning up this algae.:fish:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts