The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’d like help in ID’ing this algae and also some recommendations on what I might do to fight it. I’m fairly new to the hobby so any help is appreciated.

I started up a ~40g high tech tank about 6 weeks ago. It has a 25 gallon display and a 20 gallon sump (that stays 75% full).

Plants: anubias petite, bacopa caroliniana, giant hair grass, hygrophila pinnatifida, weeping moss, and bucephalandra. All are growing well / needing trimming.

Water: RODI

Ferts: Thrive+ for when nitrates drop below ~10 and Flourish Phosphorous for when phosphate drops below 1ppm

CO2: 3-4 bps

Temp: 76-78F

Lights: Kessil a360 that ramps up to 50% brightness for a couple hours and then back down for a total of 8 hours a day.

Nitrite / Ammonia at 0. Have 14 neon tetras, 5 guppies, 1 bristlenose, 5-10 snails, 10 cherry shrimp, 10 ammano shrimp.

Sump: 3x Foam filters, UV sterilizer, bunch of floaters (frogbit and duckweed) that grow extremely fast.

I’ve only changed my water once 😳 but my levels haven’t ever shown anything that could farm aquarium life. Hoping I could maintain a 1 change a month kind of life.

This algae started creeping up about a week ago, has started covering some of the edges of slower growing pinnatifida leaves, a little on the slow growing hairgrass and an some of my overflow. It tends to grow in either high flow or low flow areas.

Thanks, any help in ID and remedy is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It's like he says, it's Staghorn. If you dip a bit in rubbing alcohol it should turn brownish red.

Low flow is usually the reason this develops in tanks, but it could also be high ammonia, low co2, lights, imbalanced micros, etc.

There are a few things you could try. A water change to refresh the water column. Reducing the light period for a couple of weeks, or doing a blackout for a few days. Or a physical removal and hydrogen peroxide dip.

Personally I like Amano shrimp, they love algae.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much appreciated, was pretty sure it was staghorn but wanted to confirm. I’ve upped my CO2, reduced lighting some, and also repositioned my CO2 diffuser to go directly into the outflow stream so I’m hoping that’ll keep it at bay. Have ordered a CO2 checker that’ll help me be sure I’m getting enough CO2 in there.

Planning a clean and H2O change this weekend and then a 3 day blackout next weekend if things are still deteriorating.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I’ve only changed my water once 😳 but my levels haven’t ever shown anything that could farm aquarium life. Hoping I could maintain a 1 change a month kind of life.
Changing water once a month in a hi-tech tank can be problematic and is probably a part of the algae equation along with light and plant mass. You change water not only to reset fert levels, but to rid the tank of organics that decompose. The decomposition of organics is the main culprit in developing algae.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Are you remineralizing your RO water? Plants need Ca and Mg as nutrients, and they're not going to get it from the two ferts you're dosing. You need to have some hardness in your tank, and it's usually kept at around Ca:Mg 3:1 - 4:1. If you have Kh0 and Gh0, it's truly amazing that you have anything living in the tank at all. Freshwater fish absorb their H20 through their skin, and rely on those salts to regulate osmotic pressure and internal electrolytes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.