The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be green dust algae because I have that on my glass but this started a week or so ago. It has slowly gotten worse and worse. It's not slimy and it's almost as if it was painted on my lava rock.

I have a 10g with great surface agitation (Quietflow 30), it's heated, I have currently been EI dosing for about 2 and a half weeks now and I have a planted+ 24/7 light as well as pressurized CO2 at about 2 bps.

Here are some pics Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

·
Registered
605 Posts
The third picture looks like blue green algae (cyanobacteria). When I've had it in the past I've attributed it to low nitrate levels, but inadequate fertilization seems more unlikely in an EI tank.

You say you have great surface agitation; how is the water circulation further down in the water column? Some say that low circulation and/or high levels of decaying organics can allow BGA to get started.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The third picture looks like blue green algae (cyanobacteria). When I've had it in the past I've attributed it to low nitrate levels, but inadequate fertilization seems more unlikely in an EI tank.

You say you have great surface agitation; how is the water circulation further down in the water column? Some say that low circulation and/or high levels of decaying organics can allow BGA to get started.
Would EI dosing cause BGA in any circumstance?

My hob filter creates a pretty strong current even to the bottom of the tank. When the water drops in from the filter it probably goes 3 inches or so down and I have lots of little bubbles underwater where the water drains in at.

On the right side of the tank (where there is no algae) doesn't have a particularly strong current.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

X2 top of the rock is Cyanno. EM will knock it out.

Tommy

·
Registered
605 Posts
Erythromycin is an antibiotic. Cyanobacteria can be though of as an 'infection' in that once it gets started (for whatever reason) it's sometimes difficult to get rid of. Addressing the underlying causes helps prevent recurrence, but dosing antibiotics WILL get rid of it. I've done this several times without hurting my invertebrates, biofilter, plants, or shrimp.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Erythromycin is an antibiotic. Cyanobacteria can be though of as an 'infection' in that once it gets started (for whatever reason) it's sometimes difficult to get rid of. Addressing the underlying causes helps prevent recurrence, but dosing antibiotics WILL get rid of it. I've done this several times without hurting my invertebrates, biofilter, plants, or shrimp.
Oh wow, thanks :) Is it easily obtainable or would I have to special order it online?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Depends on where you are. In GB I think you need a prescription from a veterinarian.
In the USA it is sold in almost every fish store, no prescription needed.

I am not sure this is Cyanobacteria. Can you scrape it off? (I know scraping anything off lava rock is not too easy, but Cyano ought to come off pretty easily). If it comes off, what is the texture- does it come off in sheets? The sheets are not very strong, and will break up right away. To me, it is slimy. Smell it. Cyano smells bad. Might be able to simply smell the air directly over the tank. It should smell like a healthy garden, a bit of soil, sort of an 'alive' smell. Anything musty (Cyano) or bad in other ways (ammonia, sulfide, fishy/dead fish) suggests problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts