The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this tank has been up for about 3 weeks now and i can't figure if this is diatom or rhizoclonium. My plant are growing fine but that because i spend several hrs each day cleaning the algae off the plants. My HC is getting destroy by the algae because everytime i clean the algae it pulls the HC off the substrate if i don't clean the HC the brown algae will completely smother them.
I dose about 5ppm nitrate, 5 ppm of potassium, and 3 ppm of phosphate every other day and 0.75ml of flourish when i don't does macro, Co2 lime green 4dkh drop checker. I dose high Phophate but I'm still getting some Green spotted algae which i don't really mind.

By tinyen at 2011-08-22

By tinyen at 2011-08-2

By tinyen at 2011-08-22

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a 4 day black out last week and overdose with excel this algae didn't even budge. I did water change every 3 days with tap which has almost no trace of silicane. however I switch to ro/di last two weeks and reduce the fertilizer and this algae still doubling it growth each day, light only on 4 hrs a day. I might just let it grow as much it want this week than remove as much algae I can and do 50% water change

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've had some luck dosing H2O2. Killed it pretty quickly and my water looked like soda for a day. I'm not really sure if it'll come back yet, I'm still trying to remove all the death stuff from my driftwood.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Not sure why h2o2 killed it.
Anyway, I've used cups and cups of h2o2 in a 20 gallon before and never had ill effects other than some clouding.
I read on this forum about someone using it and then losing a fish, but the fish was old, and I don't believe it was related, although the owner certainly did.
If you're spot treating, be sure to turn of the filter.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Indeed diatoms.

Remove as much as you can manually while doing a 50% water change.

Add in 15 Amano Shrimp per 20 gallons and it will clear up over night. Do another water change, and you will be set.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay i think i won the battle, turn out it rhizoclonium. I took some of the brown algae out of the tank and let it dry up. When it dry up it turn green so i assume it rhizoclonium. So i did a 50% water change and add 3ml of excel per gallon. The next day it turn green and most it melted away. I did another major water change 2 days later and dose another 3 ml of excel per gallon. The fish is okay including the chilli rosboras, otto catfish and fire red shrimp. I wouldn't overdose excel because of the shrimp but i been adding 1ml of excel to 5.5 every day so most of the fish/invertebrate was expose to excel before the overdose to allow them adjust to the excel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.