The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some algae that has been growing... I've been trying to ignore it hoping that it would go away. :proud: Since that didn't work, I need your help. I don't know what to search under and can't seem to find it under a list of algae. What is it caused by, to avoid it in the future? And how do I get rid of it? It's only growing on a few plants, mainly the one in the first picture.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
What kind of lighting do you have? Are you injecting CO2? Either way, BBA is a sign of low CO2 and you need to increase it either by adding Excel (see the sticky in this section) for a few weeks or increasing what you're injecting. No matter what you do, you will have to manually remove the BBA. I had to do a huge trim of all affected leaves all throughout my recent battle with it.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Here is my technique:
1. Turn your filter off.
2. Remove the worst of it manually.
3. Do a water change.
4. Measure out the correct quantity of seachem excel into a syringe.
5. Squirt the excel over the effected areas and wait a few minutes.
6. BBA turns white and soft. Otto catfish eat it. Get some if you don't, they are the best soft-algae eaters on the planet, IMHO. (Only [email protected] petsmart).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.