The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is turning the corner on the majority of its algae issues. 45 days into startup and my hair algae has receded and all that remains is some BBA on the hardscape which comes and goes.

Two issues that I can't seem to diagnose are persistent algae on my java ferns which appears to be BBA and an unknown algae on my AR stems.

The java ferns seems to be getting BBA on the dying leaves. These leaves were the original growth and since the plants have been in the new tank they've been losing these leaves slowly, though new growth started forming within the last two weeks, so the plants are somewhat healthy. Is this BBA something to be concerned about or should I just let it run its course? I've noticed that several times the algae will turn pink and seemingly go away. I've read that BBA turns pink when it is dead, so I guess this is good. There also appears to be some staghorn on a couple of the leaves. Finally, am I correct in assuming that the brown bushy strands hanging off the leaves are new plantlets? I noticed one of them detached and attached itself nearby and has a new leaf sprouting.

My second concern is that my AR has several stems with entire leaf nodes covered in a fuzzy algae of some sort. In this same area of the tank I have ludwigia super red, dwarf sag, and AR rosavernig that don't seem to have this issue--though some of the sag leaves have a bit of algae on them. This area has very little flow if any. But I would assume that if the low flow was causing the issue then more of the species would be affected. lastly, only some of the AR stems have this. Others seem to be growing just fine. Any thoughts on a solution or prognosis?

Edit: This tank is stocked with a school of around 8-10 otos and a bunch of ramshorns for the cleanup crew.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Looks like the start of stag horn on your java and bba on your ar IMO. Is there a possibility of high iron in the tank? There seems to be a correlation between high iron and stag horn. I could be wrong but they algae on your java fern looks like stag horn.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the start of stag horn on your java and bba on your ar IMO. Is there a possibility of high iron in the tank? There seems to be a correlation between high iron and stag horn. I could be wrong but they algae on your java fern looks like stag horn.
Dosing APT Zero four times a week. I don't think that would elevate iron levels significantly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.