The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with this algae? It took over my tank when I changed my lighting to LED's. It's not diatoms because it won't come off! I even tried rubbing it off with one of those Magic Eraser things, but that didn't work, either! It's black in color and some surfaces were completely covered by it and in those cases it was really slimy. These plants came from another tank which is why there's no algae on other surfaces in the attached picture.
The glass in the tank would get a bit of green-colored algae that I would have to wipe off once a week or so, but that came off easily. So, how do I clean this stuff off my plants? It was on my big rocks, too, so I took those outside so that the cold air would kill the algae (I have no idea if that's how it works. lol).
Help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Looks like BBA , hard to tell from that pic . If it is use Excel and good luck , I have been fighting it for ages . Many posts on here about it...causes,cures,etc...just search BBA.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! These plants acquired this algae in another tank and I moved them to a new one. Since I don't actually have the plants planted yet, can I treat just the plants or is the algae already in the water (and therefore I'd have to dose the whole tank)?

Bump: Also, I thought BBA was fuzzy. this stuff is just slimy.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Like I said hard to tell from that pic...could be just plain ole green algae . You can use an H2O2 spray or dip . Search here for that too . Algae is always "in the water" so you have to get a tank balanced to keep it from coming back . Don't plant that type of plant in the substrate , tie it to a rock or driftwood . The main stem..rhizome...will rot under the substrate .

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot.
And I always plant my anubias along the top of the gravel but with the roots covered. I don't like the way they look tied to a rock. The one in the picture I've had for about 3 years.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Ur welcome. 3 years? They are slow growers...lol Mine are too . I am surprised someone smarter than me has not chimed in :laugh2:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ur welcome. 3 years? They are slow growers...lol Mine are too .
Yeah, at one point my tank got some kind of mineral deficiency and my anubias plants lost a lot of leaves. the funny thing about this one is that months after this happened, it started growing two little plantlets off the rhizome where the leaves used to be (you can see them on the right side in this picture).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.