The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i look at greenwater & thread algae.

greenwater can feed zooplankton, clams, tiny fry, ... it's great food for many things and people don't want it.

and people look at clams and they don't want those either because they starve to death, ... why isn't anyone making the connection.

live food and additional variety in our tanks.

except i'm having problems with keeping greenwater, i keep adding and the water keeps clearing up within a few days, ... i'm dealing with an ammonia issue, ... too many snails have devastated the bacteria at breaking down ammonia is my guess. (assassin snails on order)

---

not bringing up the issues i am having with keeping greenwater, but why do people want to get rid of this stuff when its likely excellent for preventing other algae from appearing and is excellent food for many things including other live food we could be adding to our tank instead of the processed stuff we get.

---

another algae i consider to be synonymous with "food" is thread algae, seems anything that eats algae at all loves this stuff. and is again live food, and about the cheapest free food we can provide to our tanks.

---

so i'm referring to these "algaes" as "food". and i'm seeing a large resistance at anyone else seeing the value of this as well.

and then i saw something that concerned me when looking at the planted tank manual that is available for access through purchase order, ... the preview mentioned greenwater is best treated by ignoring it, and after a few days (couple weeks) will kill itself, ...

if i'm looking at greenwater as free food for the live food i want in my tank, ... if the greenwater suicides, how in the world am i going to get more in the tank ? i want this stuff in my tank, i am likely always going to want it (till my thinking changes), but there's very little resources to maintaining any live food like this in the tank as preferable.

any help on any of these issues (and yes they seem to be all over the place) would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well also want some of the red algae but either the shrimp have eaten all that, or my tank has never been subjected to any spores of any red algae. from what i hear red algae is expected to have some health benefits over green.

and for everything i've seen it tends to be much shorter. if it's also easily food for what's in the tank then that would also be a preferable algae. ...

sadly i don't have any in my tank :(, ... i think a friend may have some, ... could throw it through a blender and pore it into the tank, should be bound to establish itself somewhere.

·
Registered
910 Posts
People don't want greenwater in their tanks for a reason I would think is self-explanatory: I didn't spend all the time and money setting up the tank and equipping it (lights, filters, substrate, pressurized co2 etc.), and stocking it (plants, plants, plants, fish, shrimp etc. ) along with all the myriad accessories I don't want to try and list here, to stare at a big green brick.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
add clams, and clear up your green water.
just enough clams so your tank still has phytoplankton in it. don't want them to starve.

it's not self-explanitory, it's premature. there isn't a place in nature that doesn't survive without phytoplankton to start the food cycle to feed life in aquatic environments. too many want this half-bastardized hybrid of sterile and life, ... we're cutting out the food and because of that we have to buy processed stuff,... not as good as live food.

our tanks aren't sterile, but it's like we're pretending that would be desired.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Most dont want 'natural tanks', my tank has an assortment of gorgeous healthy plants, no holes in leaves no algae no dead or decaying leaves just thick dense growth and crystal clear water, just the way I like it, nothing like you find in the wild.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
holes in the leaves are a bad issue i have right now, ... need to find a good source of potassium for the plants.

·
Registered
426 Posts
what kind of substrate do you have? I recommend using dirt. It should provide your plants and algae with the necessary nutrients. Also, do what limz_777 suggested place your tank somewhere with direct sunlight. that should do the trick, maybe.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've got garbage for substrate, not literally, it's just ... i'd never use it again.

thinking of a nice nutrient enriched dirt base to use next time, ... one little critter i'm looking for a source to buy from and i'm off to build a new tank (well buy) till then it's just learning, asking lots of questions, ... and sadly listening to people who think they know it better but only follow the status quo without an idea what is going on. ... it's hard to separate those 2 groups of people at times :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts