The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have this stuff growing all over everything, from my stones, to my plants to even my snails. Been dosing Excel everyday lately and yesterday I sprayed the plants that are affected by this stuff with straight H202 3% and it had no effect on it about 24 hours later

How do I get rid of it, what's causing it and how do i prevent it from coming back once its gone

Light- Aquatic life Dual T5 HO (on for 8 hours) paired up with Finnex Planted+ 30" (on for 5 of the 8 hours)

CO2 injected with GLA regulator at around 3 bubbles per second

Started EI dosing- but noticed major algae growth, and now at about 1/4 of the recommended dosing for a 29 gallon

Pretty light fish load- 6 neon tetras, 4 celestial pearl danios, 8-10 amano shrimp, 1 Balloon ram, 1 guppy, 2 otos, 1 nerite snail

Eheim 2217 canister filter with the stock media

Sicce Voyager Nano Circulation pump

Eco complete substrate mixed with aqua soil

Plant load:

·
Banned
483 Posts
liek it

I like your design!!! What is tied to the tree?

Have this stuff growing all over everything, from my stones, to my plants to even my snails. Been dosing Excel everyday lately and yesterday I sprayed the plants that are affected by this stuff with straight H202 3% and it had no effect on it about 24 hours later

How do I get rid of it, what's causing it and how do i prevent it from coming back once its gone

Light- Aquatic life Dual T5 HO (on for 8 hours) paired up with Finnex Planted+ 30" (on for 5 of the 8 hours)

CO2 injected with GLA regulator at around 3 bubbles per second

Started EI dosing- but noticed major algae growth, and now at about 1/4 of the recommended dosing for a 29 gallon

Pretty light fish load- 6 neon tetras, 4 celestial pearl danios, 8-10 amano shrimp, 1 Balloon ram, 1 guppy, 2 otos, 1 nerite snail

Eheim 2217 canister filter with the stock media

Sicce Voyager Nano Circulation pump

Eco complete substrate mixed with aqua soil

Plant load:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I definitely wouldn't dose full recommended amount for EI as your tank isn't heavily planted. As for lights, that also might be a little over kill, what is your distance from light to substrate?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely wouldn't dose full recommended amount for EI as your tank isn't heavily planted. As for lights, that also might be a little over kill, what is your distance from light to substrate?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Yeah I stopped dosing the full amount for EI. Distance from light to substrate is around 16".

Lights are so high because of the dwarf baby tears, but I may try to lessen the time both lights are on and see if it helps

Bump:
I like your design!!! What is tied to the tree?
Thank you! Java moss is what I have on the tree

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Two T5 bulbs in an Aquatic life fixture are too much for that height.
You can cut the effect by reducing the hrs. I'd first start by just getting rid of the
Finnex or if you like the way it looks when you view the tank just turn it on only
for the length of time you are actually sitting in front of the tank.
You might try a Zoo Med "Flora sun" along/w a
Aquarium Lighting T-5 HO Florescent Bulbs: AquaticLife T5 HO Natural White 6,000°K Fluorescent Lamps
That's an Aquatic Life Natural white 6000K.
I find either of those to be very effective at growing. But I think the Zoo Med
belongs with another bulb to get better visible light.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm going to lower the lights. Will keep the aquatic life t5s on for full 6 hours and the Finnex planted+ for 3 hours and see how that helps.
Also going to stop dosing for a while and see if it helps with algae and doesnt adversely affect the plant health and growth

Just tested my water

Phosphates are 0
Ammonia is 0
pH is around 6.9
Nitrates are also 0 though which I thought would be higher. Could this be contributing to the algae growth?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How old is the setup? What were you dosing when you started it? How long were your lights on for at the start?
Setup is about 3 months old. Lights were initially on for somewhere between 10-12 hours, but noticed hair algae all over my java moss so I scaled it down to 8 hours, now I'm at 6 hours.

Did not dose at all the first month and a half since substrate is eco complete mixed with aquasoil

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Setup is about 3 months old. Lights were initially on for somewhere between 10-12 hours, but noticed hair algae all over my java moss so I scaled it down to 8 hours, now I'm at 6 hours.

Did not dose at all the first month and a half since substrate is eco complete mixed with aquasoil
Yeah, so many make that mistake. When you started up the tank is when you should have done the 6 hours and then slowly brought it up if all was well. Also if you didn't dose Potassium you might have run short even with some aquasoil in there.

Now that you have algae, it acts like any other plant and enjoys the co2, ferts, etc. To me it's kinda like a lawn. If you grow your grass strong it pushes out the weeds. Same here with algae. I would throw alot of fast growing plants, change lots of water keep the fertilizer and co2 going and hopefully the plants will out compete the algae.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
been dosing around 8ml of excel directly on the algae every other day and spraying H202 on the algae directly on the other days for about two weeks now. Been getting good results, no loss of shrimp or fish that I've noticed, only negative is some of the leaves of s.repens and h.pinnitifida have been getting small holes on them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.