The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone help me identify this? I believe it is a hair algae and it is taking over all of the moss in my tank. I tried a few times to remove it manually but little bits break off and float around the tank spreading the issue. Now it is growing on my sponge filters as well. What can I do to stop this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tank parameters:
PH: 8.0
GH: 9
KH: 6.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0

Tank Inhabitants:
11 Carbon Rili Neocardina Shrimp
1 Amano Shrimp (just added today)
4 Nerite Snails
3 Rabbit Snails
2 Otto Catfish
Driftwood covered in Willow Moss
Dwarf Hairgrass (not covered in algae yet but getting some clinging although I've successfully been removing it from this plant).

Lighting:Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light with Ultra bright 6500K white LED
I was leaving it on for ~12hrs but have since reduced to 4hrs a day as of last week.

Many thanks for any help you may have!

·
Registered
304 Posts
What size tank? How far is the light unit from ur lowest plants? Also is the ultra bright 6500k one of the satellites settings or extra light fixture? It may not be the light period but the intensity. What fertz are u using and dosing, could be to much

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 10 gallon tank. The light is about 2" from the waterline and very close to the topmost moss but the picture is of algae near the bottom of the tank. It is worse there but likely due to my ability to remove it more readily from the top.

I usually keep the light on bright white light. Not sure beyond that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If the sat + is the only light source Ide suspect high nutrient problem and like the trigger advised, dose some excell (liquid co2) basicly. To help plants suck up extra nutrients. Keep us posted

·
Registered
512 Posts
Are you using ferts or c02? I am assuming not since you didn't mention it. The light intensity and photo period is a bit long/strong. Are you combing two lights I'm confused by the ultra bright 6500k led comment? Is that a separate light than the sat? If so I'd not use it for now.

The sat+ alone is suitable for moss. The DGH does best with high light, c02 and ferts. You can probably keep it alive with lower light but expect very slow growth. For my 10 gallon CRS tank I keep a sat + for mosses and floaters. They do well with a small amount of fertz added no c02. The benefit of that light is you can dial in RGB. I run it full spectrum minus green since it's ugly and unnecessary for plant growth.

I would probably pull out all the moss and treat it in a bucket with peroxide. Stir it up really good to remove all the dead algae. Give the tank a good clean too. Good luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the confusion. It is just one Sat+ LED setup that I am using. I am not dosing ferts or CO2, just using excel for CO2 for fear of my shrimp. I will definitely do the hydrogen peroxide suggestion soon and let you guys know what happens. What ferts would you suggest I start with? I've never dosed ferts before, this is my first planted tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts