The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Can i please get some help identifying this algae? I had a big CO2 fluctuation a few weeks back (CO2 ran out and wasnt running for a few days then after refilling was pumping way too much into the tank), ive gotten the levels sorted now but as a consequence this algae is threatening a take over. I think its actually 2 types, 1 is slimy and the other is more hairy. The pics should do a better job than i can describe.
My understanding is once i get these ID i can target my treatment as theres no one size fits all algae treatment...or is there?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think the slimy one is Blue Green Algae which is actually a bacteria. It is caused by low Nitrate, high organics, old lights and poor water circulation. The other one is Hair/Thread Algae due to high Iron. You might get other better responses for how to handle them if you post your water parameters and describe your dosing routine and lighting.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
If it smells bad (think fishy) it's cyano (bga), the slimy one that as. The other is some sort of hair algae... The "one size fits all" treatment for both of these as manual removal with filters off, water changes, daily if possible, and balancing ferts and lights. If it is cyano it's a pain to get rid of. As was mentioned, it's not a really algae and it's a bacteria that enjoys much the same settings as most plants do. Usually it pops up with "excessive" nitrogen- IME. Every time I've battled it (or any other algae issue, really) I've done the daily removal and water changes along with lean or no ferts (depending on type of plants). It takes weeks/ months to get a handle on. Hair algae can be sensitive to excel/ h2o2 spot treatments, though it'll just come back if fert imbalance isn't addressed. Knowing parameters would help with this. You said you just went through some issues with co2 and had a few days where some of your plants may have suffered a little. It could be possible that this is just a reaction to that. If that's the case manual removal and water changes daily should be enough to give your plants the strength to put compete the algae on their own. The cyano (if it is that) may take longer and require more diligence. Good luck!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts