The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is a 5.5 gallon with new amazonia soil, growing HC, diy co2 with two bottles, dose 1ml of excel everyday and .5 ml of flourish every other day. I also have a 24w 6500k pc light on for 10 hours a day. Anyway I believe I keep having issues with hair algae (there are long green thin strings coming off of my HC and some growing on the plants). I got rid of it then it came back so I am guessing it is from the DIY co2 because my PH has ranged from 6.0 to 6.4. ANYWAY my question is what should I dose to increase my PH and keep it stable and also do you think the PH is even the issue? I want to get some shrimp but don't want to put them in an unstable environment.

·
Registered
689 Posts
First off test your local water supply, is it low? If so you're not going to have much luck raising it. Depending on the type of filtration you could put crushed coral in your filter and the pH will raise gradually but understand if your local supply has low pH then your tank will experience pH swings which could be deadlier than having the wrong pH.

Most plants are fine between 6 and 8 anyway so you should be fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.