The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
you can dose that with H202.....spray bottle, full strength, nail it next water change.

·
Banned
70 Posts
how much light and how long is your photoperiod?
+1 this - also, do you have good stable CO2, and decent flow in your tank?

This looks like staghorn. In my experience with it, it usually happens when I have a CO2 problem, low flow from the filter being dirty, or just a dirty tank in general (yay laziness!)
Increasing flow, which also helps in co2 distribution, and cleaning the tank usually resolves the issue. If it's really going nuts on your plants, overdosing excel knocks it out in a hurry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, could be a little of everything. I don't have a drop checker to test CO2. It's on at about 3bps. This is a newly established tank, coming up on the 6th month mark. I haven't cleaned the canister filter yet, I'll start with that. Water peramiters are perfect. 6.4 ph with CO2 running. I dose Excel every 3 days or so, just for a little kick. Hydrogen Peroxide huh? Never heard of that method. Do you squirt it directly onto the algae? And overdosing excel? How much is overdosing without killing my livestock? Damn algae....planted tanks arch nemesis! Lol

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The safe dose of excel depends on fauna you have in the aquarium, do you have shrimps ? Some plants are also not very tolerant to excel, eg vals.

I used 2x-3x the recommended dose of EasyCarbo with no adverse observed effects. Stop the filter and with a syringe put Excel over the affected area. Start your filter after 5-10 minutes.

The second one looks indeed like a filamentous green algae, like cladophora. It too can be treated with excel.

I don't know how one would spray hydrogen peroxide on an algae that grows at substrate level and would presumably be covered with water.

Keep in mind excel treatment will remove the algae but unless you deal with the reason why it appeared in the first place, you will have to do this every 2 weeks or so.
I would say the reason is high organics or low plant health...I had a similar experience with staghorn taking over one part of a wood I just introduced. It was fun to see how the algae was growing only in the area that still had some bark left..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.