The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i have 4 tanks. 3 of those are planted and one has about 95% fake plants and 2 amazon swords. this is the tank i am having some serious problems with and i have no idea how to fix it. i have a general idea on how to fix things in planted tanks (even though they don't always work for me!) but no clue what to do in one that is pretty much all fake plants.

the tank is a 55gallon tank. 2 filters, one eheim and one topfin (that came with the tank).
i used to have a common pleco in there that did the job of keeping the glass clean, but since he was getting a bit too big i gave him back to the fish store here. ever since he's been gone, algae has decided to take over.
right now on all the glass is what i think is green spot algae. hard as heck to scrub off and green. you can see into the tank BUT it's foggy looking because of the algae. also, some of the fake plants have black gunk all over them.
anyone have any suggestions?.

my inhabitans are:
2 angelfish
14 cardinal tetras
1 betta
3 cherry barbs
4 kuhli loaches
4 small cories
1 bolivian ram
and like 3 odds and ends

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If that tank has good lighting I can see why you would get algae. That was the norm back years ago when I used to be a plastic plant farmer. Good fast growing plants will keep the algae pretty well under control unless you have too much light. Why not add some to that tank?

·
Registered
786 Posts
add more phosphate to the water to control Green Spot Algae. A simple way to do if you don't want to order any, is to get a Fleet enema (the type without mineral oil) from a drugstore. It's just pure phosphate and only costs $1.50. About 1-2 mL a couple times a week should solve your problem. Seachem also makes a good product "Phosphorus" - more money, maybe less embarrassment. :icon_mrgr Amazon swords are nutrient hogs in my experience so it's not surprizing you're coming short of something.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the lighting is actually not good. it has less than 1wpg, that is why i'm not dosing anything or have any co2.
especially since it's mostly fake plants.
should i dose phosphate anyways? i have the dry form of it for the other tanks.

·
Registered
786 Posts
well, i wouldn't thought you would need it either but I only get GSA when I don't have enough phosphate. perhaps those swords are creating a shortage of phosphate, goodness knows they don't need a lot to grow like crazy. Give it a shot, whatever keeps that PITA GSA away. :)

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The nice thing about the EI method of dosing is that the big weekly water changes correct for any excess fertilizing you do. So, I agree with cbennett, add some phosphate and a bit of nitrate, and see what happens (you can't just add the phosphate, that would just drive the nitrate level to zero.) Don't follow the EI dosage schedule, for that low a light intensity, just dose weekly about what the EI schedule says to use every other day, or cut the every other day amount to a third or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts