The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to cycle my new planted tank. In the early going, my pressurized CO2 was down for a week, and during that time the algae went crazy:eek:

I'm not sure if this was due to lower CO2 levels, or if my tank went thru a "silent cycle"? I've had some cycling fish in there for 3 weeks & still no nitrites/nitrates, that's another story:icon_ques

While doing a water change last night, the algae was so bad I decided to remove most of my plants and do a hydrogen peroxide dip. Did ~33% water change with RO water, and now not sure what to do? Mst of my plants are in tubs. I am keeping my lights to 7 hrs/day, doing water changes 1-2 times per week, and can't imagine Phosphates are a problem since I mix lots of RO with my well water.

Not sure what my next action should be as I don't want to go back to where I was last night (see before & after pics).

I appreciate any suggestions :help:

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
Looks like hair algea to me. What type of lighting, and do you have it sitting on top of the tank, if so raise your lights that should help.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just had a similiar problem with thread/hair algae. I peroxided my whole tank per the one two punch method. Then started using flourish exel to help kill the algae off. It has made a world of difference. I cut my light period to 8hrs, upped my co2 and obviously started dosing flourish excel. within a week i have seen a difference in the quality of the tank. I did go into a mini cycle but at this point I dont care. The algae was taking over. Dark cobra is the one who did the write up on the one two punch method.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like hair algea to me. What type of lighting, and do you have it sitting on top of the tank, if so raise your lights that should help.
Hi starfire,

I have theMarineland 24" Aquatic Plant LED
http://www.marineland.com/Products/...led-aquarium-lighting-for-aquatic-plants.aspx
It's a 26 Bow so it's a fairly deep tank @ 20". I started out with a daylight cycle that was probably too long, so I've scaled it back to 7 hrs.
Based on the specs and input from others, I thought I was medium light, but maybe I'm pushing into high?

I just had a similiar problem with thread/hair algae. I peroxided my whole tank per the one two punch method. Then started using flourish exel to help kill the algae off. It has made a world of difference. I cut my light period to 8hrs, upped my co2 and obviously started dosing flourish excel. within a week i have seen a difference in the quality of the tank. I did go into a mini cycle but at this point I dont care. The algae was taking over. Dark cobra is the one who did the write up on the one two punch method.
Thanks…I read Dark Cobra's thread also and was intrigued.

I am not sure if my tank has cycled (I'm thinking "no"). I'll have to find that thread again as my only concern would be setting back my BB. I currently do not use excel as I have CO2. Not sure how effective just the H2O2 would be?

I plan on dip-peroxiding the rest of my plants today, and doing another sizable wc.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Standard questions here. What size tank, especially how tall.
What light/ as specific as you can be incluing hrs on each day.
What ferts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Standard questions here. What size tank, especially how tall.
What light/ as specific as you can be incluing hrs on each day.
What ferts.
Hi Raymond,

26 Gal (20" tall), running Marineland Aquatic Plant LED (link in post below) for 7 hrs/day. I was ~9hrs/day initially & when this issue popped up. Have EcoComplete substrate, dosing Flourish Comprehensive, and dosed Florin Axis during the 10 days or so my CO2 was down.

Thank you...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts