The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that balance is the way to fix algae issues, but how does one get there? I've become bogged down with hair algae and need to figure something out before it kills everything. I have a variety of plants, small variety of fish, been dosing with thrive c, been doing co2, thrive root tabs, and have 2 alc finnex 24/7's on there. I'm intermediate as far as plant experience, but pretty new to these ferts (looking to change bc of cost and effectiveness) and these lights, and co2. Tank has been running since Jan or so, and have invested a lot (to me ) in plants. Any help to save them would be appreciated.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Looks pretty good. I would just wipe it down,make a water change AND keep the photo period to 6 hours. When the algae goes away,you can bring it back to the standard 7 or 8 hours. More than that grows algae better than it does higher plants.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I know that balance is the way to fix algae issues, but how does one get there? I've become bogged down with hair algae and need to figure something out before it kills everything. I have a variety of plants, small variety of fish, been dosing with thrive c, been doing co2, thrive root tabs, and have 2 alc finnex 24/7's on there. I'm intermediate as far as plant experience, but pretty new to these ferts (looking to change bc of cost and effectiveness) and these lights, and co2. Tank has been running since Jan or so, and have invested a lot (to me ) in plants. Any help to save them would be appreciated. View attachment 1028840
Looks good! If you feel your having serious issues with any Algae, you can Safely use Hydrogen Peroxide on your plants, substrate and hardscape. No it will not hurt fish, snails, plants or even shrimp. Many people that are on youtube and BIG in the Aquarium hobby, have videos showing you how much and how to, Hydrogen Peroxide is natural, (our own bodies make it). And it's just H202, like Water is H2O, one more oxygen molecule that water.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well,its not THAT safe. The problem is that damage done to fish and plants wont show for days or even a couple of weeks. Really,reduce the organics in the tank with a cleaner or larger filters,water changes and what works 100% on all algae...less light.

·
Registered
451 Posts
What size is your tank and what is your light schedule? When you say you are doing co2 what do you mean? With a proper tank or a diy setup?

Fewer organics, less light, and making sure your co2 is dialed in is going to be key. But it looks like you're keeping discus, so you should be aware that the warm temperatures and messy feeding needed to keep your fish happy may be tough on your plants. I don't have any experience with discus, so I can't provide guidence on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 65 tall, "diy" co2, to the extent that you mix citric acid with baking soda, but it's in a pressurized cylinder, using needle valve and bubble counter. This is the first I've used co2, so I am having trouble getting to bps thing down. Had been running the lights for 10-12 hours with the co2 on for 2 hours before lights on and off 1 hour before the lights, but have now reduced the lights to 6 hours, keeping the co2 to the same ratio as before. As far as the discus requirements, I'm pretty low-key compared to others, but I'm changing water 2-3 times/week and doing a light vacuum most of those times.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Its a 65 tall, "diy" co2, to the extent that you mix citric acid with baking soda, but it's in a pressurized cylinder, using needle valve and bubble counter. This is the first I've used co2, so I am having trouble getting to bps thing down. Had been running the lights for 10-12 hours with the co2 on for 2 hours before lights on and off 1 hour before the lights, but have now reduced the lights to 6 hours, keeping the co2 to the same ratio as before. As far as the discus requirements, I'm pretty low-key compared to others, but I'm changing water 2-3 times/week and doing a light vacuum most of those times.
Keeping the light for 6 hours will help at least for now. There is a lot to consider when it comes to algae but the light is an important factor. Currently I run my light for 10 hours (30%, 40% and 50%) but my light is hung 13" from the water.
I know different people use the DIY method for CO2, that might work for people with enough experience, certainly not for me. I will encourage you if you do not have enough experience with the dry ferts like me keep using the Thrive for now which has all what is needed for the plants. I started my journey with the PPM meyhod and it was a struggle becasue I did not have expericne nor the knowledge, might use it in the future but for now I use Tropica and some Seachem products.

Good luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts