The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started up my first planted aquarium and one of my plants have what seems like a white fungus or aglae covering it's leaves. Even my Hair Grass has it too. I was trimming my Hair Grass today when I noticed it and I bumped it with my finger. Instantly, all of the gel substance retracted to the point where you couldn't see it. Only when I moved my hand away did it expand out again. Never have I seen anything like this before, and I fear it's suffocating my plants. If anyone has any idea, please share. Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
yesh yea algae wouldnt move and I didnt think that fungus did either. I guess it could be hydra but from the pic it doesnt exactly look like hydras. Then again ive never seen it in person and only pics on the net.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Can you take a close up picture? Does that stuff look like this? These are pics from one of my tanks a long time ago. I had these little white things that had a stem and little tentacles that formed a cup shape. They would shrink when I touched them. I had 1000's. I remember no one could identify them. Finally I took them to my buddy who works in a lab breeding salt water fish, he said it was not hydra, its a fungus. I tried everything to get rid of them, they are immune to everything but a bleach dip! haha I literally gave up trying to kill them, one day I woke up and they started to disappear, they pretty much went away on their own.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you take a close up picture? Does that stuff look like this? These are pics from one of my tanks a long time ago. I had these little white things that had a stem and little tentacles that formed a cup shape. They would shrink when I touched them. I had 1000's. I remember no one could identify them. Finally I took them to my buddy who works in a lab breeding salt water fish, he said it was not hydra, its a fungus. I tried everything to get rid of them, they are immune to everything but a bleach dip! haha I literally gave up trying to kill them, one day I woke up and they started to disappear, they pretty much went away on their own.
That is a possibility that they're hydras. But to me, they look more like separate individuals in the picture than they are in my tank. The ones in my tank are united to where the only thing separating "one" from the other is a little black dot. All that cover one leaf all move in unison; touch the tip and they all disappear. I'm afraid I can't take a better picture than that, I only have my iPhone. But I can include another picture although it won't be much different, hopefully you can get a better idea. Thanks for the reply :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
That is a possibility that they're hydras. But to me, they look more like separate individuals in the picture than they are in my tank. The ones in my tank are united to where the only thing separating "one" from the other is a little black dot. All that cover one leaf all move in unison; touch the tip and they all disappear. I'm afraid I can't take a better picture than that, I only have my iPhone. But I can include another picture although it won't be much different, hopefully you can get a better idea. Thanks for the reply :)
What you have might be different from what I had. Not sure. In my pics they look farther apart because I zoomed in and used a better camera so you could see a gap between them. I am still going with fungus. No way that's hydra, that would mean on that plant alone there are 100's if not 1000's. I don't see a tank having that many, not enough food. I suggest you remove that plant immediately and do a mild bleach dip. If it is the fungus I had, it spreads like a wild fire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What you have might be different from what I had. Not sure. In my pics they look farther apart because I zoomed in and used a better camera so you could see a gap between them. I am still going with fungus. No way that's hydra, that would mean on that plant alone there are 100's if not 1000's. I don't see a tank having that many, not enough food. I suggest you remove that plant immediately and do a mild bleach dip. If it is the fungus I had, it spreads like a wild fire.
I agree with you. Doing a bleach dip would require me pulling out a few bunches of my hair grass as well (which aren't doing well to begin with) and I feel it wouldn't be worth it. How about some hydrogen peroxide spot treatment? I have some nasty algae anyways. Will the HP affect my Red Cherry Shrimp and the shrimplets? Thanks again.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
I had these little white things that had a stem and little tentacles that formed a cup shape. They would shrink when I touched them. I had 1000's. I remember no one could identify them. Finally I took them to my buddy who works in a lab breeding salt water fish, he said it was not hydra, its a fungus. I tried everything to get rid of them, they are immune to everything but a bleach dip! haha I literally gave up trying to kill them, one day I woke up and they started to disappear, they pretty much went away on their own.
That description matches hydra exactly, not fungus. When something touches the tentacles, they shrink (retracts) because they pull the tentacles to their mouths to feed. It's a reflexive reaction.

Bump:
I agree with you. Doing a bleach dip would require me pulling out a few bunches of my hair grass as well (which aren't doing well to begin with) and I feel it wouldn't be worth it. How about some hydrogen peroxide spot treatment? I have some nasty algae anyways. Will the HP affect my Red Cherry Shrimp and the shrimplets? Thanks again.
See this reply about using Algaefix:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showpost.php?p=6343522&postcount=15

1 - 10 of 10 Posts