The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This white algae or fungus started growing on the side of my driftwood not to long ago and I think it is now becoming a problem. I've lost 4 fish in the last 48 hrs and I am wondering if the two are related. I think it could be Ick but from other pics I've seen online Ick does not look like this on driftwood. Any help would be great. First post on the forum so let's see how this goes!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Ick does not grow on driftwood. This is a fungus of some sort. If you can remove the wood and scrub off the white spots, perhaps wash them with hydrogen peroxide, that might slow the growth.

Tell us more about the tank.
What size, what equipment?
what substrate, light, fertilizer, CO2?
How long has it been set up?
Fish? Shrimp? Snails?
What are the most recent test results, and have these changed over time?
Water change schedule?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! It's been setup for about 3 months now. Very low tech and 15 gallons. Weekly water changes of about 25%

Before the minor crash I am have there were 6 rasbora and 1 dwarf gourami. Now I am left with the gourami and 2 rasbora.

Since this fungus is most likely not Ick, my guess is that my fatalities are due to user error. I have been sick and washing my hands constantly. My guess is that a few days ago I got some soap residue into my water column. This also makes sense because I tested my water twice in the last 24 hours and had zero ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.