The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CLOSED

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, i would like to do a RAOK for a USED Algae-Free Hammerhead Cleaning Magnet. These algae scrubbers are absolutely the best of the best in my opinion. The magnet is EXTREMELY strong, which allows you to scrub virtually any type of algae off of your glass... even hard GSA. They're so strong that you really have to be careful when putting them together, as they can very easily do some serious damage to your hands!

I took down my 90G last weekend so i no longer have a need for this. It retails for about $70 new so i figured it would be worth RAOK'ing. I also have some extra replacement pads that i will include with the magnet. SHIPPING IS ON ME! :)

RULES:
- You MUST have at least a 20G aquarium, as this magnet would really do you no good on anything smaller. Please post a photo of your tank/link to the journal for me to see.
- You MUST post at least one thing that you are thankful for. Be honest and thoughtful about this.
- You MUST have at least 100 posts. This is so i know everyone only enters once. No cheating!

I will choose the person who i think has written the most thoughtful response to question #2 on Thanksgiving day (6:00PM AZ time). This is solely my decision. Good luck to all!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I'd like to enter!

Here is a pic of my 125g tank. I am only 5' 4" tall, so it is impossible for me to reach in and clean all the glass (tank is too tall).

I hope what I write for part #2 isn't too personal & doesn't make anyone uncomfortable - I think it's good to talk about it so other people won't make the same mistake of waiting like I did, when they suspect something is wrong.
Three years ago I was very sick for a long time. I was afraid to take time off from work because I risked losing my job due to absences, but I started to feel that something was seriously wrong. Finally I went to my Dr. because at the very least I thought I was anemic. Turns out I was so anemic, I had less than 50% of my blood volume in my body. My Dr. didn't know how I walked into the office! He insisted I go to the hospital to get a transfusion (I took 3 units of blood) and he called an OBGYN to see me while I was there. The OBGYN did an emergency hysterectomy that month, and it turned out I had uterine cancer. I still see my OBGYN ( who I adore) every 6 months, permanently. I was unbelievably fortunate in that the cancer, which my OBGYN thinks I may have had for as long as a year, missed all blood vessels and lymph tissue. It was a slow growing but very aggressive/deadly adenocarcinoma and my OBGYN was able to get it all with just surgery. Since my mother, aunts and grandmother all died of cancer, I feel hugely blessed to have such exceptional, caring, and capable doctors. I truly believe they saved my life by taking control and taking action so quickly (and I have told them so).
I know this is mushy, but I am immensely thankful for a second chance at life, and it has changed how I treat people for the better.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I sure hope lots of people will enter - we will hear some wonderful stories of thanks, I know!
Speaking of thanks, thank you for the congrats. I wasn't able to say "survivor" in regards to myself until recently. Back in my mind I was afraid that if I did, a new cancer would pop up somewhere. That's what they mean by "cancerhead". The message in my story is don't wait! If your gut tells you something's wrong with your heart, your breathing, and odd pain, bleeding, or lump, etc - take care of yourself and see a doctor. So many people die when treatment could have intervened...

·
Registered
844 Posts

Just thankful that I still have a job....wheater your job suck, you hate your boss(s) or co worker....just be thankful..as many people out there are still unemploy

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was going to enter, but after reading driftwoodhunter's answer #2, my vote goes there. :) Good luck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353435374.571827.jpg

This is my newly set up 75g. I am most thankful for stumbling upon planted tank.net roughly 2 years ago. The members here are so helpful and the information invaluable! I love this place and look forward to many more years of participation and learning. I am certain that your magnet would come in very, very handy as I go to battle with diatoms, GDA, and most likely, but unfortunately BBA with this new setup. Plus my kids would enjoy using it too!

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Oooh! i want in, thanks Philip!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142631

soemthing im thankful for is (and im going to sound cliche here, but its true) this forum. most especially though for all the great friends that i have met here, ive learned so much and now have a bunch of great, caring, fish-loving friends who i can openly "geek-out" about fish and plants with. its awesome, and its something im thankful for!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I want to enter. My tank in my sig, as I'm just starting this one up. I do have a 29 up and running now though.

2. I'm thankful that my wife finally let me buy a bigger tank. But honestly, my vote goes to driftwood also. I'm thankful that our medicine and dr's and help and cure people like that.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I am not entering, but I want to say that I am thankful something similar to driftwood. Doctors detected colon cancer in my mom. They removed part of her colon, small intestines and uterus, and she went through a blast of chemo injections. She is doing good now....not the same as before, but I am grateful that she is still here and can enjoy her grandchildren (my 3 kids). I am not trying to steal any thunder here, but I just want driftwood to know that you are not alone, and I know (second hand) how you feel about being paranoid. My mom sees her oncologist every 6 months for tests, and she gets super stressed leading into every appointment. Keep a strong, positive mindset! I believe that keeps you in better health than a negative one.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
After a cancer survivor, it's hard to come close. Not much more you can be thankful for than a second chance at life...

Anyways, the tank I'd like to enter is in my signature, it's a 300g that's slowly being planted full, there's lots of brown algae and this magnet would take a load of work off from the Pleco and Ottos, plus I would love to stop getting shoulder deep every time I need to rub the glass inside.

I'm thankful for my family. It's cliche, but without them I don't know if I would've turned out the way I am. I probably would've been a lot less successful and happy throughout my adolescence. They give me strength to keep marching on and courage to overtake all the obstacles.

Without my father, I would've ended up getting myself killed a handful of times, yikes. I'm thankful for his level headedness and his uncanny ability to know when things are going to go sour.

I'm thankful for my mother, without her my teenage years would've been much more angst-filled and difficult to cope with than they already were. A mother knows best, I've learned this through trial and error. Listen to mom, especially when she goes out of her way to make her objections known.

Last but not least, I'm thankful for my sisters. They make the gloomy days brighter, negativity doesn't seem to get them, rather it's warded away by them. My sisters are large suppliers of the laughter in my life, and I'm thankful everyday that they love me.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I am not entering, but I want to say that I am thankful something similar to driftwood. Doctors detected colon cancer in my mom. They removed part of her colon, small intestines and uterus, and she went through a blast of chemo injections. She is doing good now....not the same as before, but I am grateful that she is still here and can enjoy her grandchildren (my 3 kids). I am not trying to steal any thunder here, but I just want driftwood to know that you are not alone, and I know (second hand) how you feel about being paranoid. My mom sees her oncologist every 6 months for tests, and she gets super stressed leading into every appointment. Keep a strong, positive mindset! I believe that keeps you in better health than a negative one.
I am so happy to hear that you mom is doing better, and I hope she will continue to see only good health!

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I would encourage everyone to enter. My intentions were not to make this an easy instant win for a single individual based on an experience that most of us are fortunate enough not to have to go through. While i find driftwoodhunter's post very inspirational and indeed worthy of recognition, i do want to spread the love around a bit! I should have thought this out more carefully beforehand. :hihi: Perhaps picking and choosing based on what everyone is thankful for is not the best method. I just REALLY hate the whole "pick a number from 1 to 100" method, so i figured i'd try something new. Oh well, my mistake. As a result, i would like to offer two more prizes:

- A used Milwaukee SMS122 pH Controller w/ 6-month-old probe
- 12" Rumford Aquatics straight SS scissors and 12" SS straight tweezers

I will cover shipping costs for these items as well.

I will pick three winners, and based on the order, 1st winner will be able to choose one prize, then the 2nd person, then the 3rd will receive the remaining prize. I hope that this will even out the playing field a bit. Thanks everyone for participating and sharing your ideas!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Yes it is, and it's extra nice of AzFishKid to add to the RAOK - I feel my entry was way over-the-top so to speak and I'm starting to feel really bad about it! lol So in the spirit of things I'm withdrawing my entry - I feel much better doing so! :)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Wow AzFishKid, is there no limit to your generosity?

This Thanksgiving I'm thankful for you, and for the lovely gift of SS instruments that I absolutely need for my planted tank since I have none and have been planting with my fingers! ;)

@Driftwood, I don't think you should withdraw, your post may have blown everyone away and you surely cinched first place but you definitely deserve to be a part of this ROAK!

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My birthday was a few days ago and my family was very generous and a little over-the-top with gifts this year, so i feel like i'm in a good position to give back to other hobbyists, especially since i haven't done a RAOK in a really long time! Thanks for the kind words.

Driftwoodhunter and i have exchanged PM's and there was a slight misunderstanding. As a result she will keep her spot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts