The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last nite, in trying to get rid of the horrible BGA, I used Algae Destroyer Advanced, and today, it looks like my water is filled with fiberglass!! Could this be the dead and dying algae floating in my tank? It looks like its had a piece of fiberglass insulation soaking in it. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Quick fix solutions are really meant for fish only tanks. BGA is a sign of NO3 deficiency and or a dirty tank. Do a couple of WC this week and read up on how Macros and Micros can aid the plants out competing Algae...

·
Are these real?
15,700 Posts
BGA isn't really an alga, but cyanobacteria. To kill it, you can use Erythromycin (EM tablets, Maracyn) at half strength.

Like others said, choosing Algae Destroyers to reduce maintenance isn't the best solution. Regular water changes help, filter maintenance, sufficient water current.

I don't know if your tank is planted... so I won't even go into that.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Agreed that you shouldn't try using "quick fix" algae destroyers. These kinds of chemicals can stress and/or kill your fish and possibly plants too and/or lead to other problems. Best bet is to remedy the issue that lead to the algae in the first place. Otherwise, it will come right back and all your work will be for nothing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re:

I do weekly water changes(30%), I add API Leaf Zone, my nitrates are at 10(according to my test kit) and my tanks are planted, but probably not planted heavy enough to defeat the algae for nutrients.What causes this cyanobacteria? I do my best to maintain a clean, clear, and disease-free tank. By the way, my fish and plants have faired well even after using the algae destroyer.Thanks for all of your tips!!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Nitrates are low even though your test kit may show 10ppm. I can't remember how much if any NO3 is in leaf zone. Depending on the amount of light is over this tank you have stripped the NO3 and Cyno takes it's ugly hold.
Comprehensive solutions like this are really only decent for low light tanks with no CO2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts