The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my goldfish tank, I have had an outbreack of annoying algae that grows on the glass. Ive tried to get it of with an algae scraper, but it won't budge. its green and splotchy. i'm thinking of using a razor but won't that damage the glass? Is there any algae eater that lives in cold water? If not, could I just slowly adjust the temperature like one degree a day? I think that would work because goldfish usually live in ponds so there used to the temperature changes. but also, I have a supposed "mosquito fish" but I really dont think she is one. I'm pretty sure shes a metallic livebearer, because mosquito fishes have a stripe, and she doesnt. but on the other hand, shes living in water about 68 or 70 degrees and mettalics need around 74-82. so im not sure. is there some kind of brown, small fish that lives in cold water?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
it's green spotted algae.. A razor is the only way.. Be gentle like if you are shaving. THE glass will be fine.

You're getting the GSA because you have too much light (wattage & leaving it on too long)

·
Registered
234 Posts
mistergreen is absolutly correct, just watch youreself around the silicone. and mosquito fish dont have a stripe there solid silver, and you can take the fish out of there temperature but can take the set tempurature out of the fish facts, a.k.a white clouds are cold water fish from cold mountains but most are kept at high temps of 78-82

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.