The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some recomendations for a good fish that dosent get too large and will keep my 50 gallon tank free of algae and won't destroy my plants. I've looked at keeping a school of otos but im not sure if they will destroy my plants.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Otos are a good choice. They don't bother with my plants at all, they just eat any algae that is on the plant.

You may have to supplement their diet with zucchini/cucumber/spinach/algae waffers though.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
yeah, that's what I heard of Otos..only if I can find them.

i hear bristle nose pleco does a good job too... I can't find those either.
I have a rubber lip pleco (toad pleco?)... he does an ok job... doesn't bother the plants. they stay small at 4-5 inch max.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i have otos and gold bristle nose plecos , both are good and both clean well ( no algae eater will keep a tank COMPLETELY CLEAN) i still get algae in my 90 and i have 2 or 3 plecos all GBN and 20+ otos 26 amano shrimp.

jordan

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a common pleco right now but I've had several leaves get holes in them and Im pretty sure he might be doing it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
commons do eat plants.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ordered a bristlenose from my LFS. He is a great looking big guy (about 4 inches) and has a nose full of birstles! Works great for me

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
BN Plecos do a pretty good job as well. Not sure if you wanted a larger algae eater or smaller.

Common Plecos really don't belong in planted tanks. They get large (10"+ isn't uncommon, not sure of their max size) and eat plants.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi!

It depends on what kind of algae you have got, it will be better one algae eater or another. But, above all, to solve any algae problem, it's very important to know why algae are growing (unbalanced nutrients, for example).

According to "algae eaters", I've got my preferences. None of these animals hurt our plants: shrimps (genus Caridina), Crossocheilus siamensis, Pomacea bridgesi or Otocinclus. Also, let's not forget, snails of genus Planorbis which comes to our aquariums with plants. They are not dangerous in contrast with other species (genus Lymnaea, for example).

I don't recommend large loricaridae such as Hypostomus plecostomus, Liposarcus pardalis, etc... for a planted tank.

Bye!

·
Registered
35 Posts
A company in Australia has been trialling a native snail that seems to eat BGA. Well, actually it eats "periphyton" which is made of, among other things, cyanobacteria. It's called the Waterhouse Snail. I've got a few in my tank at present and they seem to be not touching the plants. Of course, that's probably cold comfort as they're not able to be exported yet, but interesting nonetheless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts