The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dragon puffer in a 40 breeder, and I am getting green and brown algae growing on the leaves of my plants. I have tried shortening my light cycle, lowering the intensity of the light, and raising the light, and the problem still persists. I do 30% water changes every 4-5 days, which helped initially, but the algae keeps coming back. I am looking for an algae eater for this tank that won't get eaten by my puffer. Are there any species that may be suitable for this purpose?

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts
first thought is otocinclus. get a little school. 6 is the smallest recommended. I had 3, they seemed okay, LFS has a buy 5 get 1 deal so I got 6 more, one died. now there are 8. anyway, I don't see a lot of difference other than they seem to actually enjoy chilling now with their new friends.

Now I don't really know a lot about puffers, it's all second hand or eves dropped that I acquired the info. But that's what I would try if all I could do was test things out.

From what little I have gleaned after taking a quick trip down Google Ave, these seem like the best bet but may be a little tough to take care of. Although I haven't had any issues with mine. I hope they don't out eat the algae. The only thing I have actually noticed them eating otherwise is veggies that I put in my tanks every so often. so I think this is your best bet. I would wait about 2 weeks to assess how well the little guys take care of business in there.

[Edit]
So idk why but I wrote all this with a dwarf puffer in mind. Not sure how or why I did this. so this may not be at all helpful. SAE are larger and great cleaners. but idk anything about dragon puffers. thought about deleting everything but who knows, maybe this will spark something for someone else.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tankmate-wise you don't have many (if any) options. Try asking the guys in the pufferfish enthusiasts facebook page, they also have a website w caresheets (link below). Their dragon puffer caresheet says that they will eat or harm any other fish, so you may have to find other ways to fight this (even though you have already tried several tactics)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.