The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
I actually got rid of my gold algae eater. For one, he was becoming quite aggressive with the other species in the tank...secondly, I found he really wasnt a great "algae eater" and three I decided to go back to a good old group of otos who are much more calm and more of a community fish, will see how things go!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Gold Algae Eater I'm guessing is a Gold phase Chinese Algae Eater. They should be named Chinese Fish that eats very little algae, gets big and aggressive and may kill your other fish by sucking their slime coats off !!!

I hate them. Ottos Rule ! Nerites also !!!

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before I got the CAE I tried Otos, Pleco, Flying fox and nerite snails. All but the flying fox died. I took the Flying fox back for I feared he would fight with cichlid for hiding places. I would get a SAE but can't find them. Thinking next of getting some Black mollys.

Now the only algae I have is green on the walls thus may take him to LFS. He occasionally goes after a Serpae Tetra but fails to catch him.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't know there were different types of flying fox fish. We only have this

Jason what size of tank do you have your flying fox in? My tank is a 29G (30in long). Thus thinking it is too small for one.

Just read that Vesh has two SAE in 29 gallon. He has a terrible algae problem in that tank, and they’re no help.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I didn't know there were different types of flying fox fish. We only have this

Jason what size of tank do you have your flying fox in? My tank is a 29G (30in long). Thus thinking it is too small for one.

Just read that Vesh has two SAE in 29 gallon. He has a terrible algae problem in that tank, and they’re no help.

I have 75gal.

The variety is determined by which side of lake they are pulled from. They are GREAT in the beginning, but once they are feed a meat diet they tend to stray from the algea. Unless you kind of limit food, then they will much on the algea, but I have only seen them eat BBA. That's why I bought them. Indo variety get much larger then the Tai version.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.