The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6 juvenile Hemichromis lifilili in a 29 gallon low-tech tank that is planted with anubias nana, some crypts and corkscrew val. I'm waiting for two to pair up, and then I'll probably take the remaining four to my LFS. These fish are messy! And I think they've eaten the snails I put in there to take care of any extra food. I need something that these fish won't pick on that'll help keep the tank free of food debris and light algae and won't nibble on my plants (much). What should I look for?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 8" or so common pleco in my big tank and he startles the hell out of me every time I see him! He's pretty cool but they are odd looking ;)

I really like the L333's that Silver Surfer is selling over in SaS. I was hoping to get a trio for my Celestial Danio tank, but maybe one could go in with the Hemichromis?

·
Banned
29 Posts
My tank is all about algae eaters

I don't know much about fish except what I learned from my tank, so I would reccomend a pitbull pleco. They stay really small (1.5 - 2") and eat the crap outa stuff, but not plants. They're tough, whenever another creature gets near it it just rolls it, it's strong.

or, BIG wood shrimp. there are a lot of varieties of these guys, and they are probably the most amazing cleaners (but I don't think they'll focus much on algae growing on surfaces). They eat the microparticles out of the water, and I've seen them nibble the algae off of plants and rocks. They're big, 2-4" maybe bigger, and they look like they could mangle a fish with it's big legs.

I go with the pleco if just one, but the combo can't be beat, I'd say. with both, you get sparkling clean water and walls.

I am a noob, though, so people are about to tell me why I'm wrong

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought I'd let everyone know what I wound up doing:

I purchased a small (2" ish) common pleco for my Hemichromis tank. When he gets too big for the 29, I'll move him over to the 120 tank.

I also bought 4 2"+ L333's from SilverSurfer. They're going in their own 29 gallon tank. The celestial danios (galaxy rasboras, whatever they're called) didn't like all the space, and are much happier in my 6 gal tank at work.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Is Hemichromis a dwarf cichlid? Looks like you made a good choice. Ottos would be iffy. They worked in my kribensis tank, but they're not overly aggressive fish.
Plecos are great for cichlid tanks. You can keep them with just about any cichlids and they hold their own. Or rather, the cichlids don't seem to care about them. Different competition for food I would wager.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.