The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gal algae infested tank. I have tried many things to get rid of the algae, but it keeps getting worse. Right now I am trying a few days with no light and the tank covered. I know I am overstocked and believe that to be the root of the problem. I have decided to start a 29 gal tank but don't want to transfer algae to it.

I am getting new substrate and will get new plants. I plan to clean the filter and put in new media. I will also get some Safe Start to start the good bacteria growing.

Is there a way to make sure the algae on the wood decoration is gone so that I can move it to the new tank?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
First, you won't prevent algae from appearing in a tank by attempting to prevent cross contamination. Algae spores are everywhere, just waiting to enter a tank. A healthy planted tank is the best way to impede it. If you want to look at your current tanks' problems, let us know and we may be able to make some useful suggestions.

Answering your question: if you place any hardscape from your tank, that has algae on it, into a container having the inexpensive H2O2 that you can buy in a grocery store, for 24 hours, all algae will be killed. The algae will turn to mush and you will be able to easily brush it off under running water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, you won't prevent algae from appearing in a tank by attempting to prevent cross contamination. Algae spores are everywhere, just waiting to enter a tank. A healthy planted tank is the best way to impede it. If you want to look at your current tanks' problems, let us know and we may be able to make some useful suggestions.

Answering your question: if you place any hardscape from your tank, that has algae on it, into a container having the inexpensive H2O2 that you can buy in a grocery store, for 24 hours, all algae will be killed. The algae will turn to mush and you will be able to easily brush it off under running water.
Thank you. I am planning the new tank carefully and purchasing items to set it up right, hopefully. When I have everything, I hope to get enough plants to compete with algae. I hear Mollies like to eat algae. Do you know if they will eat BBA?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
Thank you. I am planning the new tank carefully and purchasing items to set it up right, hopefully. When I have everything, I hope to get enough plants to compete with algae. I hear Mollies like to eat algae. Do you know if they will eat BBA?
Nothing that I know of will eat BBA. However, Excel at 1ml/gal (starting point), one time in any week, should kill it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
Thanks, but will that much Excel be safe for the fish?
Yes, I've gone up to 3ml/gal with no observable effect upon my community-type fish, but I can't speak to all species. You may want to make sure that you get good surface rippling going to increase oxygen exchange, if you don't already have it. The key ingredient in Excel is a reducing agent, which means that it reduces the oxygen in the water. It probably won't be enough to stress the fish, but increasing oxygen in the water is a good safety measure. The Excel will be mostly gone in about 12 hours. Some people also like to remove their bio-filter, as the Excel can harm the beneficial bacteria. IME, this has never been a problem.

In addition to @Plinkploop's comments about dead algae, if you have a lot of hair-type algae, such as BBA, the Excel will likely kill it all, in which case keep an eye on ammonia for a few days. With a lot of dying algae, an ammonia spike may occur.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I've gone up to 3ml/gal with no observable effect upon my community-type fish, but I can't speak to all species. You may want to make sure that you get good surface rippling going to increase oxygen exchange, if you don't already have it. The key ingredient in Excel is a reducing agent, which means that it reduces the oxygen in the water. It probably won't be enough to stress the fish, but increasing oxygen in the water is a good safety measure. The Excel will be mostly gone in about 12 hours. Some people also like to remove their bio-filter, as the Excel can harm the beneficial bacteria. IME, this has never been a problem.

In addition to @Plinkploop's comments about dead algae, if you have a lot of hair-type algae, such as BBA, the Excel will likely kill it all, in which case keep an eye on ammonia for a few days. With a lot of dying algae, an ammonia spike may occur.
Ok, thanks
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top