The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good algae eaters for the exotic types of algae. I already have 6 otos in my 55G, but i want something that will go after other types of algae. I hear SAE are good, but chances of finding a true SAE are slim. Ill have to check my LFS.

I heard about shrimp/snails, but with clown loaches i know the snails wont last long.

Shrimp? I dont want them breeding in my 55G

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Amanos can't successfully reproduce in FW. I'd go with 10 for a 55gal tank. They get large enough that they're safe from most fish, and IME they're voracious scavengers so pretty good at holding their own when it comes to getting food (mine like trying to steal all the sinking wafers from my catfish, they run off with them... so I just break my wafers in pieces since they can't run off with more than just one piece at a time LOL).

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you have hair algae, there is no better fish for eating it than the Florida Flagfish. It lives to eat hair algae. 4 of them wiped it out of a badly infested 55 gallon tank in a month. They are easy to keep, somewhat nippy but not too bad and they stay pretty small, 1.5 inches or so. They also greedily eat flakes and pellets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.